Subject: FW: New Version Notification for draft-vandevelde-v6ops-ra-guard-01

From: "Gunter Van de Velde (gvandeve)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 16:58:04 +0100

Hi All,

Based upon feedback during IETF70 the RA-guard draft has been updated. 
The RA-Guard solution is now much more based around complementing SeND
and can even use SeND attributes to identify valid RA's in mixed SeND
and traditional ND environments.

The revised abstract now reads:

<>
When using IPv6 within a single L2 network segment it is neccesary to
ensure that all routers advertising their services within it are valid.
In cases where it is not convinient or possible to use SeND [1] a rogue
Router Advertisement (RA) [2] could be sent by accident due to
misconfiguraton or ill intended.  Simple solutions for protecting
against rogue RAs are beneficial in complementing SeND in securing the
L2 domain for ceratin types of devices or in certain transitional
situations.

This document proposes a solution to reduce the threat of rogue RAs by
enabling layer 2 devices to forward only RAs received over designated
ports.
<>

If you would have feedback, then the editor team would be happy to
learn.

G/

-----Original Message-----
From: IETF I-D Submission Tool [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2008 4:50 PM
To: gunter (mailer list)
Cc: Chip Popoviciu (cpopovic); Eric Levy- Abegnoli (elevyabe);
[email-masked]
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-vandevelde-v6ops-ra-guard-01

A new version of I-D, draft-vandevelde-v6ops-ra-guard-01.txt has been
successfuly submitted by Gunter Van de Velde and posted to the IETF
repository.

Filename:	 draft-vandevelde-v6ops-ra-guard
Revision:	 01
Title:		 IPv6 RA-Guard
Creation_date:	 2008-01-28
WG ID:		 Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 8

Abstract:
When using IPv6 within a single L2 network segment it is neccesary to
ensure that all routers advertising their services within it are valid.
In cases where it is not convinient or possible to use SeND [1] a rogue
Router Advertisement (RA) [2] could be sent by accident due to
misconfiguraton or ill intended.  Simple solutions for protecting
against rogue RAs are beneficial in complementing SeND in securing the
L2 domain for ceratin types of devices or in certain transitional
situations.

This document proposes a solution to reduce the threat of rogue RAs by
enabling layer 2 devices to forward only RAs received over designated
ports.

The IETF Secretariat.