Subject: RFC 5157 on IPv6 Implications for Network Scanning

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 15:41:23 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

         RFC 5157

         Title:      IPv6 Implications for Network Scanning
         Author:     T. Chown
         Status:     Informational
         Date:       March 2008
         Mailbox:    [email-masked]
         Pages:      13
         Characters: 29054
         Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

         I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-v6ops-scanning-implications-04.txt

         URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5157.txt

The much larger default 64-bit subnet address space of IPv6 should in
principle make traditional network (port) scanning techniques used by
certain network worms or scanning tools less effective.  While
traditional network scanning probes (whether by individuals or
automated via network worms) may become less common, administrators
should be aware that attackers may use other techniques to discover
IPv6 addresses on a target network, and thus they should also be
aware of measures that are available to mitigate them.  This
informational document discusses approaches that administrators could
take when planning their site address allocation and management
strategies as part of a defence-in-depth approach to network
security.  This memo provides information for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the IPv6 Operations Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

         To: [email-masked]
         Subject: getting rfcs

         help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...