Subject: Re: IPv6 Flow Label

From: Philip Matthews <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 16:37:46 -0400

On Wed, 7-May-08, at 02:46 , Rémi Després wrote:
>Brian E Carpenter wrote :
>>So, I'd say that the default behavior for a relayed packet should be
>>"Assign 0", and "Assign a new flow label according to RFC3697" should
>>be optional (just as the whole of RFC3697 is optional). And this is
>>entirely independent of whether or not the incoming packet has a
>>non-zero flow label.

>This is IMU the right behavior

>I had essentially the same conclusion (see for example
>http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/behave/current/msg03789.html).

>A slightly different wording could however, IMO, be preferable.
>"Assign 0" and "RFC3697" should be placed on an equal footing, no one
>being more "default" than the other: a source may have either behavior;
>a destination or an intermediate node may not assume any of the two
>behaviors in particular.

If no one has any objections, I will adopt this behavior.

- Philip

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2008 08:57:12 +1200

> If no one has any objections, I will adopt this behavior.

Sure. The main point is that a TURN relay should behave like
any other IPv6 speaker in this respect - no special rules.

   Brian