Subject: Re: New (-02) version of IPv6 CPE Router draft is available for review

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 12:11:19 -0600

Here is an interesting appliation that has gone commercial but is related to 
this discussion. Just when we were getting our terminology straight. 

WalkingHotSpot available for smartphone users 

By Sue Marek   
http://www.fiercebroadbandwireless.com/story/walkinghotspot-available-smartp 
hone-users/2008-09-07?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=internal&cmp-id=EMC-NL-FBW&de 
st=FBW 

Smartphone software vendor TapRoot Systems commercially launched its 
WalkingHotSpot solution for WiFi enabled smart phones today. The software, 
when downloaded to a smartphone, makes it possible for a consumer to use 
their 3G phone as a WiFi hotspot for up to five devices such as laptops, MP3 
players, and gaming devices. The 3G radio in the phone functions as the 
network backhaul. The WiFi radio creates the WLAN giving the various client 
devices access to the Internet. 

The software, introduced earlier this year, has been in beta testing for the 
past five months in a trial involving thousands of users and major wireless 
networks, the company said. It is initially available for smartphones that 
use Symbian S60 or Windows Mobile 6.0 devices that have WiFi connectivity. A 
free trial is available. Monthly subscriptions will cost $6.99 per month. A 
yearly subscription is available at an introductory rate of $24.99. The 
software is distributed directly to consumers via www.walkinghotspot.com. 

For More:
 - check out this press release: 
http://www.fiercewireless.com/press-releases/walkinghotspot-now-commercially 
 -available-smartphone-users-globally-0 

Related article: