Subject: Re: I-D Action:draft-ietf-v6ops-rogue-ra-01.txt

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 14:49:06 +0100

Hi,

This is purely a version update for administrative purposes.

The only text change is the addition of the word 'helps' in Section 4 to clarify a comment from the security review.

We believe the text is being progressed to Informational alongside Gunter's RA Guard text.

Tim

On 7 Jun 2010, at 14:45, [email-masked] wrote:

> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
> This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Operations Working Group of the IETF.
> 
> 
> 	Title           : Rogue IPv6 Router Advertisement Problem Statement
> 	Author(s)       : T. Chown, S. Venaas
> 	Filename        : draft-ietf-v6ops-rogue-ra-01.txt
> 	Pages           : 16
> 	Date            : 2010-06-07
> 
> When deploying IPv6, whether IPv6-only or dual-stack, routers are
> configured to send IPv6 Router Advertisements to convey information
> to nodes that enable them to autoconfigure on the network.  This
> information includes the implied default router address taken from
> the observed source address of the Router Advertisement (RA) message,
> as well as on-link prefix information.  However, unintended
> misconfigurations by users or administrators, or possibly malicious
> attacks on the network, may lead to bogus RAs being present, which in
> turn can cause operational problems for hosts on the network.  In
> this draft we summarise the scenarios in which rogue RAs may be
> observed and present a list of possible solutions to the problem.  We
> focus on the unintended causes of rogue RAs in the text.  The goal of
> this text is to be Informational, and as such to present a framework
> around which solutions can be proposed and discussed.
> 
> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-rogue-ra-01.txt
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 06:45:02 -0700 (PDT)

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.