Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-v6ops-incremental-cgn-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 15:30:03 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Operations Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: An Incremental Carrier-Grade NAT (CGN) for IPv6 Transition
	Author(s)	: S. Jiang, D. Guo, B. Carpenter
	Filename	: draft-ietf-v6ops-incremental-cgn-01.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 2010-6-18
	
Global IPv6 deployment was slower than originally expected in the last ten years. As IPv4 address exhaustion gets closer, the IPv4/IPv6 
transition issues become more critical and complicated. Host-based 
transition mechanisms are not able to meet the requirements while 
most end users are not sufficiently expert to configure or maintain 
these transition mechanisms. Carrier-Grade NAT (CGN) with integrated 
transition mechanisms can simplify the operation of end users during 
the IPv4/IPv6 migration or coexistence period. This document proposes 
an incremental CGN approach for IPv6 transition. It can provide IPv6 
access services for IPv6-enabled end hosts and IPv4 access services 
for IPv4 end hosts while remaining most of legacy IPv4 ISP networks 
unchanged. It is suitable for the initial stage of IPv4/IPv6 
migration. Unlike NAT444 CGN alone, it also supports and encourages 
transition towards dual-stack or IPv6-only ISP networks. A smooth 
transition mechanism is also described in this document. It 
introduces an integrated configurable CGN device and an adaptive Home 
Gateway (HG) device. Both HG and CGN are re-usable devices during 
different transition periods. It avoid potential multiple upgrade. 
ISPs have NOT to make a big transition decision. It enables IPv6 
migration to be incrementally achieved according to the real user 
requirements. So ISPs have NOT to make a big transition decision.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-incremental-cgn-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.