Subject: [v6ops] I-D Action: draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 00:56:32 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Operations Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Request to move Connection of IPv6 Domains via IPv4 Clouds (6to4) to Historic status
	Author(s)       : Ole Troan
	Filename        : draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic-03.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2011-05-24

   Experience with the &quot;Connection of IPv6 Domains via IPv4 Clouds
   (6to4)&quot; IPv6 transitioning mechanism has shown that the mechanism is
   unsuitable for widespread deployment and use in the Internet.  This
   document requests that RFC3056 and the companion document &quot;An Anycast
   Prefix for 6to4 Relay Routers&quot; RFC3068 are moved to historic status.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic-03.txt

---

From: "Marc Lampo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 13:15:46 +0200 (CEST)

The document claims :
"There would appear to be no evidence of any substantial deployment of
   the variant of 6to4 described in [RFC3056]."
(first sentence of the Introduction)

If my Windows 7 based workstation finds a public IP address on one of its 
interfaces, it automatically assigns a 6to4 IPv6 address to that interface.
Forgive my ignorance, with Windows, but if the behaviour I see is default on 
Windows 7,
I daresay there must be quite a bit potential users of 6to4 tunneling, out 
there.

I did hear Brian Carpenters excellent talk on 6to4 defects, in Prague,
and there is certainly room for improvement.

Kind regards,

Marc Lampo

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 24 May 2011 09:57 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [v6ops] I-D Action: draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic-03.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories. This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Operations Working Group 
of the IETF.

	Title           : Request to move Connection of IPv6 Domains via IPv4 
Clouds (6to4) to Historic status
	Author(s)       : Ole Troan
	Filename        : draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic-03.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2011-05-24

   document requests that RFC3056 and the companion document &quot;An 
Anycast

---

From: Nick Hilliard <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 13:19:48 +0100

> Forgive my ignorance, with Windows, but if the behaviour I see is default on

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/v6ops/current/msg08580.html

Nick

---

From: Ole Troan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 14:20:49 +0200

Marc,

> I daresay there must be quite a bit potential users of 6to4 tunneling, out 

I could ask you to check the archives as this has already been discussed.
to save you trawling through a few hundred messages; what you see is 3068 deployment not the managed deployment model described in 3056.

cheers,
Ole

---

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 15:10:13 -0700

> I daresay there must be quite a bit potential users of 6to4 tunneling, out 

the experience you've had on that system is leveraging rfc 3068.

> _______________________________________________
> v6ops mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/v6ops
>