Subject: [v6ops] FW: I-D Action: draft-templin-v6ops-isops-02.txt

From: "Templin, Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 10:52:37 -0700

FYI, a new version of this document is available. The most
notable change is the addition of a simplified ISATAP service
model that assigns a single IPv6 /64 prefix to an entire site.
This can be most readily seen in the new Section 7.1:

"7.1.  A Simple Example

   Consider a large, multinational enterprise network that wishes to
   enable IPv6 services without significant alterations to its long-
   established IPv4 network operations and policies.  The enterprise
   network has a mature IPv4 routing and addressing system; possibly
   including firewalling and filtering policies which divide the
   enterprise into multiple partitions.

   The enterprise network administrators obtain a single IPv6 prefix
   such as 2001:db8::/64 and arrange to advertise the prefix into the
   global IPv6 routing system.  The administrators further configure
   sufficient advertising ISATAP routers throughout the enterprise
   network so that there will be at least one advertising ISATAP router
   within close topological and/or geographic proximity with all
   potential ISATAP clients.  Each advertising ISATAP router is
   configured to advertise the IPv6 prefix 2001:db8::/64 on its
   advertising ISATAP interface.  Each advertising ISATAP router
   configures an IPv4 anycast address such as 192.0.2.1 (e.g., by
   assigning the address to a loopback interface) and advertises the
   address within the enterprise-interior IPv4 routing system.

   Finally, the administrators configure all prospective ISATAP clients
   to prefer IPv4 addresses over IPv6 addresses derived from the prefix
   2001:db8::/64 so that clients will continue to use IPv4 services for
   communications within the enterprise network as they have always
   done.  When the prospective clients have been configured with the
   correct address selection policies, the enterprise network
   administrators finally add the IPv4 anycast address 192.0.2.1 to the
   PRL for the enterprise, e.g., by adding the address to the resource
   records for the name "isatap" within the enterprise network name
   service.  This action automatically enables the ISATAP service for
   all prospective clients, which can then use SLAAC to configure an
   ISATAP address from the prefix 2001:db8::/64 and use the address to
   communicate with IPv6 correspondents outside of the enterprise
   network."

See below for the draft announcement, and send any comments
or suggestions to the list.

Fred
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2011 10:30 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D Action: draft-templin-v6ops-isops-02.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Operational Guidance for IPv6 Deployment in IPv4 Sites using ISATAP
	Author(s)       : Fred L. Templin
	Filename        : draft-templin-v6ops-isops-02.txt
	Pages           : 20
	Date            : 2011-05-19

   Many end user sites in the Internet today still have predominantly
   IPv4 internal infrastructures.  These sites range in size from small
   home/office networks to large corporate enterprise networks, but
   share the commonality that IPv4 continues to provide satisfactory
   internal routing and addressing services for most applications.  As
   more and more IPv6-only services are deployed in the Internet,
   however, end user devices within such sites will increasingly require
   at least basic IPv6 functionality for external access.  It is also
   expected that more and more IPv6-only devices will be deployed within
   the site over time.  This document therefore provides operational
   guidance for deployment of IPv6 within predominantly IPv4 sites using
   the Intra-Site Automatic Tunnel Addressing Protocol (ISATAP).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-templin-v6ops-isops-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-templin-v6ops-isops-02.txt
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt