Subject: [v6ops] Document Action: 'Mobile Networks Considerations for IPv6 Deployment' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-v6ops-v6-in-mobile-networks-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 13:59:30 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Mobile Networks Considerations for IPv6 Deployment'
  (draft-ietf-v6ops-v6-in-mobile-networks-05.txt) as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the IPv6 Operations Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ron Bonica and Dan Romascanu.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-v6-in-mobile-networks/

   Technical Summary 

  Mobile Internet access from smartphones and other mobile devices is
  accelerating the exhaustion of IPv4 addresses.  IPv6 is widely seen
  as crucial for the continued operation and growth of the Internet,
  and in particular, it is critical in mobile networks.  This document
  discusses the issues that arise when deploying IPv6 in mobile
  networks.  Hence, this document can be a useful reference for service
  providers and network designers.

   Working Group Summary 

The IPv6 Operations Working Group discussed this document at IETF-77 and IETF-78 
and in an email Working Group last Call. There were comments made, and the 
commentators stated that they were comfortable with the resolution in the final document.

   Document Quality 

We are starting to see operational mobile networks with the set of problems the document 
addresses and considering similar solutions. Comments from the working group suggested 
that the writeup was useful to them.

Personnel

  Fred Baker is shepherd.