Subject: Re: [v6ops] Review of: draft-ietf-v6ops-v6-aaaa-whitelisting-implications-03

From: "Livingood, Jason" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 18:55:04 +0000

As I read it, this says that certain DNS servers will be configured
to _not_ return AAAA records to AAAA queries by default.

   This strikes me as a really-strange transition mechanism.

Depends on a number of factors for a content provider. The more traffic a domain receives the more likely they are to consider this practice as a transition mechanism from what I have observed. This practice can give a large domain some level of control in turning on IPv6 access to their content, whereas they would lack this since they would turn it on for everyone when publishing the AAAA RR in the DNS. Once a comfort level and operational stability is achieved I would expect most domains to move away from the practice, but that is TBD. Certainly what happens on World IPv6 Day will bear on this question in important ways (when AAAA RRs are published without the use of DNS whitelisting).

   Color me thoroghly confused.

Hopefully that's more over the practice than the document; if you wish to see improvements in the I-D just say so.

Thanks
Jason

---

From: Tina Tsou <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 12:03:52 -0700

Hi Jason,
Perhaps an experience for preparing for World IPv6 Day could be added as
appendix.

We keep our promises with one another - no matter what!
 
Best Regards,
Tina TSOU
http://tinatsou.weebly.com/contact.html
 
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Livingood, Jason
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2011 11:55 AM
To: John Leslie; Richard L. Barnes; Dave CROCKER
Cc: [email-masked]; IETF Discussion
Subject: Re: [v6ops] Review of:
draft-ietf-v6ops-v6-aaaa-whitelisting-implications-03

 
Depends on a number of factors for a content provider. The more traffic a
domain receives the more likely they are to consider this practice as a
transition mechanism from what I have observed. This practice can give a
large domain some level of control in turning on IPv6 access to their
content, whereas they would lack this since they would turn it on for
everyone when publishing the AAAA RR in the DNS. Once a comfort level and
operational stability is achieved I would expect most domains to move away
from the practice, but that is TBD. Certainly what happens on World IPv6 Day
will bear on this question in important ways (when AAAA RRs are published
without the use of DNS whitelisting).

Hopefully that's more over the practice than the document; if you wish to
see improvements in the I-D just say so.
 
Thanks
Jason