Subject: [v6ops] Document Action: 'IPv6 for 3GPP Cellular Hosts' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-v6ops-rfc3316bis-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 18:02:13 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'IPv6 for 3GPP Cellular Hosts'
  (draft-ietf-v6ops-rfc3316bis-06.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the IPv6 Operations Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Joel Jaeggli and Benoit Claise.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-rfc3316bis/

Technical Summary

   As the deployment of third and fourth generation cellular networks
   progresses, a large number of cellular hosts are being connected to
   the Internet.  Standardization organizations have made Internet
   Protocol version 6 (IPv6) mandatory in their specifications.
   However, the concept of IPv6 covers many aspects and numerous
   specifications.  In addition, the characteristics of cellular links
   in terms of bandwidth, cost and delay put special requirements on how
   IPv6 is used.  This document considers IPv6 for cellular hosts that
   attach to the General Packet Radio Service (GPRS), Universal Mobile
   Telecommunications System (UMTS), or Evolved Packet System (EPS)
   networks (Hereafter collectively referred to as 3GPP networks).  This
   document also lists out specific IPv6 functionalities that need to be
   implemented in addition what is already prescribed in the IPv6 Node
   Requirements document.  It also discusses some issues related to the
   use of these components when operating in these networks.  This
   document obsoletes RFC 3316.

Working Group Summary

IPv6 Operations contains a number of sub-communities, which include 
operators of various categories, vendors of various categories, academics, 
researchers, and others. This document, which is intended to replace 
RFC 3316, was primarily of interest to the vendors of mobile networking 
equipment, including handsets, cell equipment, and network back ends. 
It was also reviewed by the Mobile Network operators, including several 
of the authors of draft-ietf-v6ops-mobile-device-profile, which was 
developed at the same time. While there were comments and improvements 
made on the draft, it was not particularly controversial.

Document Quality

The document is a requirements document describing IPv6 capabilities 
required in mobile network devices. It is consistent with RFC 3316 an with the 
Node Requirements.

Personnel

The Document Shepherd is Fred Baker. The AD is Joel Jaeggli.