Subject: [v6ops] New I-D: IPv6 Extension Headers in the Real World

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2014 00:04:37 -0400

Folks,

We have published a new I-D on the topic of IPv6 Extension Headers
(EHs). The I-D is available at:
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gont-v6ops-ipv6-ehs-in-real-world-00.txt>.

Abstract:
   IPv6 Extension Headers allow for the extension of the IPv6 protocol,
   and provide support for some core functionality such as IPv6
   fragmentation.  However, IPv6 Extension Headers are deemed to present
   a challenge to IPv6 implementations and networks, and are known to be
   intentionally filtered in some existing IPv6 deployments.  This
   summarizes the issues associated with IPv6 extension headers, and
   presents real-world data regarding the extent to which packets with
   IPv6 extension headers are filtered in the public Internet, and where
   in the network such filtering occurs.  Additionally, it provides some
   guidance to operators in troubleshooting IPv6 blackholes resulting
   from the use of IPv6 extension headers.  Finally, this document
   provides some advice to protocol designers, and discusses areas where
   further work might be needed.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Fernando

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: New Version Notification for
draft-gont-v6ops-ipv6-ehs-in-real-world-00.txt
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2014 20:57:17 -0700
From: [email-masked]
To: J. Linkova <[email-masked]>, Shucheng LIU (Will)
<[email-masked]>, Tim Chown <[email-masked]>, Tim Chown
<[email-masked]>, Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>, Fernando
Gont <[email-masked]>, Will (Shucheng) Liu
<[email-masked]>, J. Linkova <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-gont-v6ops-ipv6-ehs-in-real-world-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Fernando Gont and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-gont-v6ops-ipv6-ehs-in-real-world
Revision:	00
Title:		IPv6 Extension Headers in the Real World
Document date:	2014-08-07
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		15
URL:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gont-v6ops-ipv6-ehs-in-real-world-00.txt
Status:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gont-v6ops-ipv6-ehs-in-real-world/
Htmlized:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gont-v6ops-ipv6-ehs-in-real-world-00

Abstract:
   IPv6 Extension Headers allow for the extension of the IPv6 protocol,
   and provide support for some core functionality such as IPv6
   fragmentation.  However, IPv6 Extension Headers are deemed to present
   a challenge to IPv6 implementations and networks, and are known to be
   intentionally filtered in some existing IPv6 deployments.  This
   summarizes the issues associated with IPv6 extension headers, and
   presents real-world data regarding the extent to which packets with
   IPv6 extension headers are filtered in the public Internet, and where
   in the network such filtering occurs.  Additionally, it provides some
   guidance to operators in troubleshooting IPv6 blackholes resulting
   from the use of IPv6 extension headers.  Finally, this document
   provides some advice to protocol designers, and discusses areas where
   further work might be needed.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat