Subject: [v6ops] Protocol Action: 'Host address availability recommendations' to Best Current Practice (draft-ietf-v6ops-host-addr-availability-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 14:10:46 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Host address availability recommendations'
  (draft-ietf-v6ops-host-addr-availability-07.txt) as Best Current
Practice

This document is the product of the IPv6 Operations Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benoit Claise and Joel Jaeggli.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-host-addr-availability/

Technical Summary

   This document recommends that networks provide general-purpose end
   hosts with multiple global IPv6 addresses when they attach, and
   describes the benefits of and the options for doing so.

Working Group Summary

   This particular draft has not been controversial; it borders on 
   stating the obvious, and certainly states a consensus of IPv6 
   operators and designers in the IETF. It does, however, recommend
   a change from current general practice with DHCP/DHCPv6,
   a change that the author's companies are explicitly exploring and
   finding useful, which is to allocate a prefix to a host rather than
   a single address. 

Document Quality

  This is not a protocol, it is a proposal regarding IPv6 protocol
  deployment practice. That said, yes, there are multiple implementations.
  Windows, MacOSX, Linux, and other operating systems expect to use
  multiple addresses in the same prefix simultaneously, and common
  practice using SLAAC directly supports this. The issue has to do with
  DHCP/DHCPv6 address allocation, which a network operator might restrict
  to a single address unnecessarily.

Personnel

  The Document Shepherd is Fred Baker.
  The AD is Joel Jaeggli.