Subject: [v6ops] v6 gateway data forwarding behaviour

From: Naveen Kottapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2016 19:27:17 +0530

Hello,

Assuming that the node is given a prefix in RA by the gateway, does the
gateway need to know the complete address being used by node for data
forwarding?

Yours,
Naveen.

---

From: Erik Kline <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 11:06:22 +0900

> gateway need to know the complete address being used by node for data

If the RA PIO is 2001:db8:1:2::/64 and the gateway receives a packet
destined to 2001:db8:1:2::f00 which is not in its neighbor cache it
should attempt Neighbor Discovery to find out where to send the
packet.

Did you have some more exotic network configuration in mind?

---

From: Greg Daley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 03:45:40 +0000

Hi Naveen,

Not for reception from the local link. The router only needs ip address to MAC mapping to deliver packets to devices on link (associated with the prefix)

This is why it is called a neighbour cache, not a neighbour table

Sincerely,

Greg Daley
Logicalis Australia Pty Ltd
E [email-masked]
M +61 401 772 770

On Aug 25, 2016, at 11:59 PM, Naveen Kottapalli <[email-masked]> wrote:

Hello,

Assuming that the node is given a prefix in RA by the gateway, does the gateway need to know the complete address being used by node for data forwarding?

Yours,
Naveen.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Naveen Kottapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 13:30:25 +0530

No, no special configuration is planned.  I was wondering that for data
forwarding does the router need to know the complete 128-bit address of the
client after prefix assignment or not.

Yours,
Naveen.

---

From: Naveen Kottapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 13:37:12 +0530

Thanks Greg!

Yours,
Naveen.

On 26 August 2016 at 09:15, Greg Daley <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi Naveen,
>
> Not for reception from the local link. The router only needs ip address to
> MAC mapping to deliver packets to devices on link (associated with the
> prefix)
>