Subject: [v6ops] multicast over wifi discussion list

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2017 18:57:08 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

please forward this if there are other parties or WGs that might have 
valuable knowledge in this.

1.5 years ago there was an email list created to discuss the issue of 
L1/L2 multicast packets having different delivery characteristics compared 
to unicast, on 802.11 and potentially other places.

http://www.ieee802.org/11/email/stds-802-11/msg01838.html

If you're interested in discussion on possible solution space for this, 
please consider subscribing. Possible outcomes is that IETF will re-design 
protocols to do less multicast, and/or new mechanisms would be proposed to 
make 802.11 (and other similar technologies) handle multicast better.

There was a side meeting today with 10 people where this was discussed, 
and we're trying to restart this discussion, as it has been kind of stale 
the past year.

Link to the email I sent to that list:

https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/mcast-wifi/muf8GqcTRzQubgHI-uc90aIC2YY

-- 
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email-masked]

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 12:12:15 +0200

I agree I experimented poor delivery of multicast ND messages using
IPv6 over 802.11. And it is a shame as multicast is builtin in L1.
Unfortunately I can't see an easy solution, both on the IPv6 side
which really requires it, or on the WiFi side which has its own
reasons to be very bad on it... Perhaps it is why the ML stales?

Regards

[email-masked]

PS: I remember well to have missed the first RA for years!
(I can understand from time to time but here probability of loss was one).