Subject: [v6ops] Document Action: 'Requirements for IPv6 Customer Edge Routers to Support IPv4 Connectivity as-a-Service' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-v6ops-transition-ipv4aas-15.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2019 11:06:34 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Requirements for IPv6 Customer Edge Routers to Support IPv4
   Connectivity as-a-Service'
  (draft-ietf-v6ops-transition-ipv4aas-15.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the IPv6 Operations Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Warren Kumari and Ignas Bagdonas.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-transition-ipv4aas/

Technical Summary

  This document specifies the IPv4 service continuity requirements for
   an IPv6 Customer Edge (CE) router, either provided by the service
   provider or by vendors who sell through the retail market.

   Specifically, this document extends the "Basic Requirements for IPv6
   Customer Edge Routers" (RFC7084) in order to allow the provisioning
   of IPv6 transition services for the support of "IPv4 as-a-Service"
   (IPv4aaS) by means of new transition mechanisms.  The document only
   covers transition technologies for delivering IPv4 in IPv6-only
   access networks, commonly called "IPv4 as-a-Service" (IPv4aaS).

Working Group Summary

   There was broad consensus behind this document and no controversy. 

Document Quality

  All of the mechanisms have been implemented by multiple vendors. The document shepherd (Ron Bonica) read every word of this document. Coincidentally, he is doing a similar comparison as part of his day job. Therefore, he is testing all but one of the transition mechanisms mentioned in this document in the lab (employer doesn't implement one of the mechanisms.)

I worked closely with the authors to improve the readability, and they have been very responsive in addressing the directorate reviews.

Personnel

   Ron Bonica is the Document Shepherd.
   Warren Kumari is the "Responsible" Area Director.