Subject: [v6ops] RFC 8585 on Requirements for IPv6 Customer Edge Routers to Support IPv4-as-a-Service

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 2 May 2019 20:14:22 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8585

        Title:      Requirements for IPv6 Customer Edge 
                    Routers to Support IPv4-as-a-Service 
        Author:     J. Palet Martinez, 
                    H. M.-H. Liu,
                    M. Kawashima
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       May 2019
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      21
        Characters: 49405
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-v6ops-transition-ipv4aas-15.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8585

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8585

This document specifies the IPv4 service continuity requirements for
IPv6 Customer Edge (CE) routers that are provided either by the
service provider or by vendors who sell through the retail market.

Specifically, this document extends the basic requirements for IPv6
CE routers as described in RFC 7084 to allow the provisioning of IPv6
transition services for the support of IPv4-as-a-Service (IPv4aaS) by
means of new transition mechanisms.  The document only covers
IPv4aaS, i.e., transition technologies for delivering IPv4 in
IPv6-only access networks.  IPv4aaS is necessary because there aren't
sufficient IPv4 addresses available for every possible customer/
device.  However, devices or applications in the customer Local Area
Networks (LANs) may be IPv4-only or IPv6-only and still need to
communicate with IPv4-only services on the Internet.

This document is a product of the IPv6 Operations Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC