Subject: [v6ops] CPE without IPv6 and without NAT

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 21:16:33 +0100

Please excuse posting on a topic out of the timeline of the WG.

I have been reported and been given to try it remotely, a CPE that does
not do IPv6, does IPv4 but does not do NAT.

It is used in house at mister lambda on fiber.  The ISP is SFR but that
is not important, and the testers are not associated with them.

Through this CPE box the end user's laptop obtains a publicly routable
IPv4 address in the range 88.something if I recollect correctly (it
might be something else like 81 or so).  The IPv4 address is then
pingable from elsewhere from the Internet (I pinged).  And there is an
openvpn server for lecture at University for this.  Students learn it.

After calculations, it might be that one or two class As might be
sufficient to manage probably all clients of this ISP size, and all
their devices.

Once this mode is used (there are two modes in this CPE: router and
another one) the CPE can no longer be managed remotely, but the
device_s_ in house are reachable from the Internet.

This test makes me understand better when I discussed in private with
engineer from SFR and was told that IPv6 is not important to them.

Again, this test was suggested by somebody else completely different
than SFR, there is no commercial interest from me on this.

Alex