Subject: [v6ops] smartphone v6-v4 conversions affect video-conf quality?

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 14:04:16 +0200

Hi,

I am trying to find out whether current IPv6-IPv4 conversions affect the 
quality of video calls?

I assume a setting where an IPv6 smartphone (maybe Verizon?) connects to 
an IPv4 vide-call service such as Skype, or Microsoft Teams, or webex.

I wonder whether such a smartphone would get a better quality of video 
if the video-call service was on IPv6, and thus no IPv4-IPv6 conversion.

(in my trials I could identify that most video-call services like webex 
etc are on IPv4 only, with the only exception being gather.town; also I 
could identify that operator Bouygues' smartphones on 4G are on IPv6 
with a v4-v6 conversion; but I could not test right now these 
smartphones on gather.town, which is down by the way 
https://ietf.gather.town/z6N2SDxHebMdDAfo/IETF-108)

Alex

---

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 14:35:57 +0200 (CEST)

> if the video-call service was on IPv6, and thus no IPv4-IPv6 conversion.

That depends on the network in question, if there is higher RTT going 
through for instance NAT64 device. The actual L4 user payload of the 
packets will be identical for both cases, the NAT64 doesn't change that.

-- 
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email-masked]

---

From: Henri Alves de Godoy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 10:05:26 -0300

Hi Alexandre,

This subject is very interesting and I recently made some measurements
using 464XLAT to access the web and the differences in microseconds between
an ipv4 and ipv6 access were imperceptible for an end user. (4 to 10 μs).

The problem that makes any attempt to measure difficult is that many video
applications are not yet entirely on IPv6. The authentication systems of
the services are still in IPv4 and few like Microsoft Teams do not have
their IPv6 video transmission as far as I could verify.

Henri Alves Godoy
Information Technology and Communication
School of Applied Sciences
University of Campinas - UNICAMP
Fone: + 55 (19) 3701-6682

Em ter., 20 de out. de 2020 às 09:36, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike=
[email-masked]> escreveu:

> _______________________________________________
> v6ops mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/v6ops
>

-- 
-- 
Henri Alves Godoy
Tecnologia da Informação e Comunicação
Faculdade de Ciências Aplicadas - FCA
Universidade Estadual de Campinas - UNICAMP
Fone: (19) 3701-6682

---

From: Henri Alves de Godoy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 10:16:54 -0300

Hi Alexandre,

Henri Alves Godoy