Subject: [v6ops] Document Action: 'Operational Implications of IPv6 Packets with Extension Headers' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-ehs-packet-drops-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 09:47:59 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Operational Implications of IPv6 Packets with Extension Headers'
  (draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-ehs-packet-drops-08.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the IPv6 Operations Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Warren Kumari and Robert Wilton.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-ehs-packet-drops/

Technical Summary

   This document summarizes the operational implications of IPv6
   extension headers specified in the IPv6 protocol specification
   (RFC8200), and attempts to analyze reasons why packets with IPv6
   extension headers are often dropped in the public Internet.

Working Group Summary

   One point of contention observed during the IETF LC (and
   had been discussed during the WG evolution of this document)
   regarded the document scope.  Some participants felt that the
   document should include more empirical data about the use
   and support of IPv6 extension headers in the Internet, potentially including
   information from vendors on what they support, to allow guidance
   to be given to end host developers as to how IPv6 extension headers
   can be successfully used.  The rough consensus was that this
   issue is outside the scope of this document.  Of course, it could be
   tackled by future work.

Document Quality

   The document has been developed in the WG for quite a
   while, has had a lot of discussion, and has been reviewed
   by a good number of WG participants.

Personnel

  Ron Bonica is the document shepherd.
  Rob Wilton is the area director.