Subject: Re: [VCARDDAV] vcardxml

From: Mike Douglass <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 11:13:48 -0500

My apologies for the late notice...

I've lately spent some time working with the icalendar in XML format and 
developing an XML schema for use with SOAP and JAXB frameworks. This led 
to a few changes in that specification which I think are of relevance here.

We'd simplified a little and dropped the <text> element for some of the 
parameters (tzid). This leads to some problems when developing a 
practical XML schema. We end up with a mixture of complex and simple 
types which prevents the use of a common base type for the parameter 
specification.

The same is showing up in this spec: for example

  param-pref = element pref {
      xsd:integer { minInclusive = "1" maxInclusive = "100" }
    }?

which could really do with something like an included <int> element. 
Also the <type> parameters which, without an inner <text> element, 
become a schema simple-type with a restriction.

Adding these elements does lead to a little more verbosity but does lead 
to a schema which is more usable and extensible.

To summarize:
I think every value should have a containing value-type element for 
consistency

-- 

Mike Douglass                           [email-masked]
Senior Systems Programmer
Communication&  Collaboration Technologies      518 276 6780(voice) 2809
(fax)
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute 110 8th Street, Troy, NY 12180

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 11:37:31 -0500

> I think every value should have a containing value-type element for

Yeah, I had worried that this would be needed. Thanks for the 
justificative report. These changes will be in the next revision.

Simon
-- 
DTN made easy, lean, and smart --> http://postellation.viagenie.ca
NAT64/DNS64 open-source        --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server               --> http://numb.viagenie.ca

---

From: Mike Douglass <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 11:47:18 -0500

I had hoped to put together a schema to exercise this in jaxb - that's 
how I managed to run into the problems with icalendar.

I'll try to get something done as a first pass soon...

--