Subject: [VCARDDAV] unrecognized values

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 13:14:29 -0600

Section 6 of vcardxml states the following about converting XML vCard to
plain-text vCard for properties in the vCard 4 namespace:

      *  If a standard property's XML element contains XML elements and
         attributes for which the converter doesn't recognize the
         expanded name, they are dropped.  Therefore, it is RECOMMENDED
         to limit extensions to the property level to ensure that all
         data is preserved intact in round-trip conversions.

This doesn't say how to handle unrecognized values of recognized
elements or attributes. The example I have in mind is the <kind/>
element (for which x-names and iana-tokens are allowed); in this case
vcardrev clearly specifies that "individual" is the default. However, we
might not be so careful with regard to the type parameter (here it
depends on context -- there are different sets of values for the related
(should it default to "me"?), tel (vcardrev says it defaults to
"voice"), and gender properties (should the type for the sex element
default to "O" or "U", and can other values be defined?).

We might just say that during conversion any unrecognized values are
passed through unmodified, and I think that would be my preference
rather than trying to apply any kind of validation.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/