Subject: [VCARDDAV] The promised <[email-masked]> mailing list from vcardrev

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 09:30:04 -0400

The vcardrev document promises a new mailing list for discussing
extensions.  Now that it's in last call, it's probably time, or almost
time, to create the list.  I wanted to get this suggestion out there
so it doesn't get lost:

I suggest that we create <[email-masked]> as an alias for
<[email-masked]>, rather than having it as a separate list.
1. The right people are already subscribed to <[email-masked]>.
2. It would be useful for users of the new list to have the archives
of this list to hand.
3. This working group will close before too long, and the upcoming
recharter will primarily be for discussion of extensions anyway.

Barry

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 14:53:06 +0100

>recharter will primarily be for discussion of extensions anyway.
If we don't want another mailing list (for example if we have a distinct 
[email-masked] mailing list that has less traffic, it can be watched by 
IANA), then can we just update the draft to use [email-masked]?

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 10:05:22 -0600

> IANA), then can we just update the draft to use [email-masked]?

Yes, that seems simpler.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 14:32:03 -0400

> IANA), then can we just update the draft to use [email-masked]?

I see [email-masked] as a pointer. It adds one level of indirection.
Whether we make it point to [email-masked], to another mailing list,
or anywhere else, it will always have a single purpose: "the place where
vcard extensions get discussed", nothing less, nothing more. Having this
level of indirection gives us flexibility in the future. It's important
to have a level of indirection in the RFC because RFCs never change.
Once it's out there, you're stuck with it.

But I don't care too much and I'll gladly make the change if it turns
out that adding an alias involves more bureaucracy than I imagine...

Simon
-- 
DTN made easy, lean, and smart --> http://postellation.viagenie.ca
NAT64/DNS64 open-source        --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server               --> http://numb.viagenie.ca

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 15:35:39 -0600

> out that adding an alias involves more bureaucracy than I imagine...

I've asked the Secretariat about this and will report further once I
hear from them.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 15:52:57 -0600

> I've asked the Secretariat about this and will report further once I

Our friends at the Secretariat say that technically the aliasing is
easy, but that in their experience problems emerge when those pesky
humans get involved by trying to do things like find list archives,
manage subscriptions, set up mail filters, and even reply to messages.
Their recommendation would be to just use [email-masked].

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 19:18:49 -0400

> Their recommendation would be to just use [email-masked].

Will do.

Thanks,
Simon