Subject: [VCARDDAV] iCalendar-in-XMlL updated

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 10:15:20 -0400

Hi folks,
The iCalendar-in-XMl spec has been updated to account for comments during 
the last call which ended last week. Changes are noted in the spec at 
<http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-daboo-et-al-icalendar-in-xml-09.txt>.

In regard to vcard-in-XML: please look at Section 5 which is how we agreed 
to deal with unrecognized property/parameter default values. I believe 
similar text and new XML value element is required in the vCard-in-XML spec 
too.

One other thing, we ended up changing the date and time XML value formats 
to be more inline with the format used in XML schema: specifically adding 
"-" separators between the date components and ":" separators between the 
time components. This change was prompted by feedback from developers who 
wanted to be able to reuse xsd date/time types for validation and 
processing. This seemed like a reasonable request so we made the change. I 
would have thought a similar situation exists for vcard-in-XML so we may 
want to consider that.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 11:43:59 -0600

<hat type='individual'/>

On 5/18/11 8:15 AM, Cyrus Daboo wrote:
> Hi folks,
> The iCalendar-in-XMl spec has been updated to account for comments
> during the last call which ended last week. Changes are noted in the
> spec at <http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-daboo-et-al-icalendar-in-xml-09.txt>.
> 
> In regard to vcard-in-XML: please look at Section 5 which is how we
> agreed to deal with unrecognized property/parameter default values. I
> believe similar text and new XML value element is required in the
> vCard-in-XML spec too.

I think that approach is fine.

> One other thing, we ended up changing the date and time XML value
> formats to be more inline with the format used in XML schema:
> specifically adding "-" separators between the date components and ":"
> separators between the time components. This change was prompted by
> feedback from developers who wanted to be able to reuse xsd date/time
> types for validation and processing. This seemed like a reasonable
> request so we made the change. I would have thought a similar situation
> exists for vcard-in-XML so we may want to consider that.

You might want to say exactly that. For example:

   Description:  iCalendar "DATE" property values are represented by the
      IC:date XML element.  The content of the element is the same date
      value specified by [RFC5545], with the exception that the date
      components are separated by "-" characters for consistency with
      [W3C.REC-xmlschema-2-20041028].

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 14:06:26 -0400

Hi Peter,

>       [W3C.REC-xmlschema-2-20041028].

The last paragraph in section 3.1 does mention XML schema, but if you want 
that repeated in each of the value definitions that would be fine too. I'll 
make that editorial change in my working copy and we can add an RFCEditor 
note for those if another rev of the document is not needed after IESG 
review.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: "Tim Hare" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2011 00:04:50 -0400

I have some questions, since I am not an XML expert in any way despite
writing at least one XML-to-iCalendar transform: 

A. Is 3.2 trying to say that the <components> element can contain another
<components> element?  Or is it merely trying to say that once component
such as <vtodo> can contain another component such as <vtimezone>?

B. Is the <geo> property compatible with other geo-type tagging such as
<geo:point> which I believe is from RDF? This comes from my belief that XML
is so flexible that we ought to be able to use any combination of namespaces
which provides a mapping to iCalendar.

C. I think I missed, somewhere, why property parameters were not mapped to
XML attributes? It seems a more direct mapping for example, to map 

PROPERTY-NAME;PARAMETER-NAME="param":value

to <property-name parameter-name="param">value</property-name>

rather than:
<property-name><parameters><parameter-name>value</parameter-name></property-
name>

D.  Do URIs always have to be surrounded by <uri></uri> pairs? As in C:  why
not <property-name type="uri"> ?

Tim Hare
Interested Bystander, Non-Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Cyrus Daboo
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 10:15 AM
To: CardDAV
Cc: Calsify
Subject: [calsify] iCalendar-in-XMlL updated

Hi folks,

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

_______________________________________________
calsify mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/calsify