Subject: Re: [VCARDDAV] unrecognized values

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 14:58:23 -0400

On 2011-04-18 15:14, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Section 6 of vcardxml states the following about converting XML vCard to
> plain-text vCard for properties in the vCard 4 namespace:
> 
>       *  If a standard property's XML element contains XML elements and
>          attributes for which the converter doesn't recognize the
>          expanded name, they are dropped.  Therefore, it is RECOMMENDED
>          to limit extensions to the property level to ensure that all
>          data is preserved intact in round-trip conversions.

> We might just say that during conversion any unrecognized values are
> passed through unmodified, and I think that would be my preference
> rather than trying to apply any kind of validation.

Now that we have x-name and iana-token as part of the schema, those
values are actually "recognized". The value type is identified by the
<text> element. So I think we're fine with the text we have now.

Simon
-- 
DTN made easy, lean, and smart --> http://postellation.viagenie.ca
NAT64/DNS64 open-source        --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server               --> http://numb.viagenie.ca

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 13:09:32 -0600

<hat type='individual'/>

> <text> element. So I think we're fine with the text we have now.

Agreed!

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/