Subject: [VCARDDAV] FYI: recharter text

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2011 12:59:43 -0600

<hat type='AD'/>

FYI, here is the recharter text that Simon and I worked out. The IESG
will consider this matter in its telechat this Thursday.

###

vCard and CardDAV (vcarddav)
-----------------------------------
Current Status: Active Working Group
Last Updated: 2011-8-04

Chairs:
  Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>

Applications Area Directors:
  Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
  Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>

Applications Area Advisor:
  Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>

Mailing List:
  Address:	[email-masked]
  To Subscribe:	http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vcarddav
  Archive:	http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/vcarddav/

Description of Working Group:

A personal address book (PAB) contains a read/write copy of attributes
describing a user's interpersonal contacts. This is distinct from a
directory which contains a primarily read-only copy of users within an
organization. While these two data objects share a large number of
common attributes, their use and access patterns are fundamentally
different. The IETF has a standards-track data format (vCard 4.0) and an
access protocol (CardDAV) for the interchange of both PABs and user
directory entry data objects.

Having completed its work on the base vCard and CardDAV specifications,
the VCARDDAV working group currently focuses on extensions to those two
technologies. In particular, the WG will complete the following work:

(1) A limited set of extensions to vCard (and its XML representation) as
well as to CardDAV. Extensions are accepted for group consideration
based on normal IETF consensus rules and in consultation with the
responsible Area Director.

(2) A lossless mapping between LDAP and vCard 4.0.

Goals and Milestones

Sep 2011       Submit simple extensions to IESG as Proposed Standard
               - draft-ietf-vcarddav-kind-app
               - draft-ietf-vcarddav-birth-death-extensions

Nov 2011       Adopt draft for LDAP mapping as working group item
               - draft-cal-resource-schema or its equivalent will be
                 taken as the starting point

Dec 2011       Submit social networking extensions to IESG as Proposed
               Standard
               - draft-george-vcarddav-vcard-extension will be taken
                 as the starting point

Dec 2011       Submit OMA extensions to IESG as Proposed Standard
               - draft-cauchie-vcarddav-oma-cab-extensions will be
                 taken as the starting point

Dec 2011       Submit CardDAV extensions to IESG as Proposed Standard
               - draft-daboo-carddav-directory-gateway will be taken
                 as the starting point

April 2012     Submit LDAP mapping to IESG as Proposed Standard

###

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 15:57:08 -0400

> FYI, here is the recharter text that Simon and I worked out.

I like it!

Barry

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2011 16:12:55 -0400

Hi Peter,

> will consider this matter in its telechat this Thursday.

Looks good.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: Likepeng <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 01:09:36 +0000

Looks good. 

Thanks for your work.

Kepeng Li

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 22:11:18 +0100

>vCard and CardDAV (vcarddav)
 [...]

>(2) A lossless mapping between LDAP and vCard 4.0.
Nitpicking: are you talking about an LDAP mapping for the base vCard 4.0 
spec or for base vCard 4.0 + extensions? Note that a generic algorithmic 
mapping to/from LDAP is not possible.

Otherwise this looks good.

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 20:15:47 -0400

> mapping to/from LDAP is not possible.

My understanding was a mapping from LDAP to vCard, not the other way around.

Simon

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 11:11:52 +0100

> My understanding was a mapping from LDAP to vCard, not the other way 

This doesn't change the gist of my comment: it is not clear whether the 
item only covers properties defined in the base vCard 4.0 spec, or 
everything in the new Charter.

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 08:04:42 -0400

> everything in the new Charter.

My point is that if we're going LDAP --> vCard, then vCard extensions
are irrelevant. What's relevant is what is in LDAP. It could be possible
that we need to define new vCard elements that don't exist yet so that
existing LDAP stuff can be mapped.

Simon
-- 
DTN made easy, lean, and smart --> http://postellation.viagenie.ca
NAT64/DNS64 open-source        --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server               --> http://numb.viagenie.ca

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 13:16:00 +0100

>existing LDAP stuff can be mapped.
I think some vCard extensions in the new charter already have 
corresponding LDAP attributes.