Subject: [VCARDDAV] Protocol Action: 'vCard KIND:application' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-vcarddav-kind-app-00.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2011 15:25:00 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'vCard KIND:application'
  (draft-ietf-vcarddav-kind-app-00.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the vCard and CardDAV Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Pete Resnick and Peter Saint-Andre.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-vcarddav-kind-app/

Technical Summary

This document defines a value of "application" for the vCard KIND property so
that vCards can be used to represent software applications. An example use case
is representing an XMPP server.

Working Group Summary

The scope was significantly reduced from "thing" to "application".
Initially the draft proposed an all-encompassing "thing" value. Any
thing represented by a vCard would arguably fit into the "thing" value.
Now the "application" value is constrained with a very specific meaning.
There were no problems reaching consensus.

Document Quality

There are no implementations known to the shepherd. However, there
is indication of use in the XMPP community:
http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0292.html
XMPP implementations are expected to implement the specification,
but no known specific plans.

Personnel

Simon Perreault <[email-masked]> is the document shepherd.
Pete Resnick <[email-masked]> is the cognizant AD.

RFC Editor Note

Please make the following changes in section 3:

OLD

   The following example of an XMPP server is borrowed from [XEP-0292]
   and uses the XML representation of vCard described in [VCARDXML].

NEW

   The following example of an XMPP server is borrowed from [XEP-0292].
   The XML representation of the vCard is described in [RFC6351],
   which allows for the use of the new "application" value using the
   "iana-token" production defined in [RFC6350].

OLD
     <lang>
       <parameters><pref>1</pref></parameters>
       <language-tag>en</language-tag>
     </lang>

NEW
     <lang>
       <parameters><pref><integer>1</integer></pref></parameters>
       <language-tag>en</language-tag>
     </lang>