Subject: [VCARDDAV] JSON format for vCard

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 12:29:29 -0500

Hi folks,
We just published a draft describing a proposed JSON format for iCalendar 
(<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kewisch-et-al-icalendar-in-json-00.txt>). 
Obviously it would be good to have alignment between that and any JSON 
format for vCard (similar to what we did for the XML representations).

We have had a lot of discussions at CalConnect about the JSON format 
leading up to the publication of the new draft, and we believe the chosen 
format represents a good compromise of all the various requirements 
(performance, streaming, compactness, regular, etc).

If we were to adopt the same format for vCard in JSON, then an example 
might look like this:

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:4.0
FN:Cyrus Daboo
N:Daboo;Cyrus;;;
ADR;TYPE=POSTAL:;;123 Example Circle;Example;EX;99999;USA
EMAIL:[email-masked]
TEL;TYPE=HOME,VOICE;VALUE=URI:tel:555-555-5555
END:VCARD

["vcard",
 [
   ["version", {}, "text", "4.0"],
   ["fn", {}, "text", "Cyrus Daboo"],
   ["n", {}, "text", "Daboo", "Cyrus", "", "", ""],
   ["adr", {"type" : "POSTAL"}, "text",
    "", "", "123 Example Circle", "Example", "EX", "99999", "USA"],
   ["email", {}, "text", "[email-masked]"],
   ["tel", {"type" : ["HOME", "VOICE"]}, "uri", "tel:555-555-5555"],
 ],
]

Given that there has been a lot of interest from other working groups at 
the IETF for a JSON vCard format, we should discuss this and move forward 
quickly.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 10:36:23 -0700

Hi Cyrus,

Thanks for following up on this issue. As we discussed in Atlanta, I
agree that we need to produce convergence in our approaches here, as we
did for the XML representation. Unfortunately I'm pretty swamped with
day-job responsibilities right now, so I probably won't have time to
look at it for another few weeks. :(

Peter

On 11/14/12 10:29 AM, Cyrus Daboo wrote:
> leading up to the publication of the new draft, and we believe the
> chosen format represents a good compromise of all the various
> requirements (performance, streaming, compactness, regular, etc).
> 
> the IETF for a JSON vCard format, we should discuss this and move
> forward quickly.
>