Subject: [VCARDDAV] Question about SOURCE property in RFC 6350

From: Erwin Rehme <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2014 15:22:05 -0700

In RFC 6350 is says:

        6.1.3 <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6350#section-6.1.3>. SOURCE

    Purpose:  To identify the source of directory information contained
       in the content type.

    Value type:  uri

    Cardinality:  *

    Special notes:  The SOURCE property is used to provide the means by
       which applications knowledgable in the given directory service
       protocol can obtain additional or more up-to-date information from
       the directory service.  It contains a URI as defined in [RFC3986  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986>]
       *and/or other information referencing the vCard to which the
       information pertains.*   When directory information is available
       from more than one source, the sending entity can pick what it
       considers to be the best source, or multiple SOURCE properties can
       be included.

Does the "and/or other information..." statement mean that the value is 
can be "free form" text and not just a uri?

-- Erwin Rehme

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 08:31:00 -0500

> can be "free form" text and not just a uri?

That text was present in RFC 2425. I don't know what it means. I don't 
think it allows a non-URI value.

Does anyone know of non-URI SOURCEs in the wild?

Simon
-- 
DTN made easy, lean, and smart --> http://postellation.viagenie.ca
NAT64/DNS64 open-source        --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server               --> http://numb.viagenie.ca

---

From: Erwin Rehme <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 08:10:59 -0700

On 01/ 8/14 06:31 AM, Simon Perreault wrote:
>>        the directory service.  It contains a URI as defined in 
>> [RFC3986  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986>]
An export of a Yahoo contact contains "SOURCE:Yahoo! AddressBook 
(http://address.yahoo.com)".
-- Erwin

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 10:48:02 -0500

Hi Erwin,

> (http://address.yahoo.com)".

I would claim that is a bug - at the very least a "VALUE=TEXT" parameter 
should have been included because the default value type is definitely 
supposed to be URI. Though I do think it should always be a URI and we 
should clean up the definition in the current spec to clarify that.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 10:59:41 -0700

RFC 6350 is one of those rfc's that has a very loose ABNF syntax.

Many of the value (Such as SOURCE-param) are never referenced in the 
rest of the documents ABNF.

This is true of many of the properties (with the -param suffix to the 
ABNF property name).

On 01/07/2014 03:22 PM, Erwin Rehme wrote:
> Does the "and/or other information..." statement mean that the value 
> is can be "free form" text and not just a uri?
>
> -- Erwin Rehme
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> VCARDDAV mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vcarddav

-- 

Doug Royer - (K7DMR.us / DougRoyer.com)
[email-masked]
714-989-6135