Subject: [Venue-selection] Macau

From: "Peter Yee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2016 14:40:18 -0700

Back in March, IEEE 802 held a very successful plenary session at the
Venetian Casino in Macau.  There's a very large conference center that's
part of the Venetian complex and I think it would be easy to hold a meeting
there wherein we could get:

1) Sufficient rooms in a single hotel (the Venetian has 3,000 plus rooms and
is the largest such facility in the world).  The Venetian is a world-class
casino with all of the attendant services, food, and shopping options one
expects of such a facility.  Related hotels are also available across the
main street through the casino district, accessible through enclosed
walkways.  Additional casinos with hotel rooms as well as non-casino hotels
are also available nearby that are accessed via outdoor walking.  No one
should have to walk very far to accommodations unless they choose to.
2) Sufficient meeting space such that we don't end up with rooms that are
standing room only (unless that's the desire).  The meeting facility is
multiple levels with several large, subdividable ballrooms.
3) Food options: many different options within the Venetian including a
convenient food court with at least 20 different restaurants plus a variety
of sit-down restaurants throughout the casino.  Taipa Village is nearby for
those who don't want to eat in a casino environment, although there are many
other casinos nearby that offer many other restaurants.  Some of these are
accessible without going outdoors should the weather be inclement.
4) Doesn't suffer from the Great Firewall of China.  Macau doesn't censor
Internet connections unlike the mainland.
5) Fairly easy transportation access.  Macau International Airport is very
near the casinos (not that you would hear the planes).  The much larger Hong
Kong International Airport is nearby and is reached by high-speed ferry
boats that depart directly from the airport so that no immigration
formalities need be encountered in Hong Kong.  Ferries run many times each
day, both to and from Hong Kong airport as well as the Kowloon peninsula.
6) SIM cards are available via vending machines or in shops for those who
care about such options.
7) Starbucks and similar chains are abundant for those who care about their
caffeine consumption.
8) Plenty of interesting tourist options are available in Macau: sites from
the Portuguese colonial era, the Macau Tower (viewing, bungee jumping,
controlled descent jumping), traditional Chinese temples).  Mainland China
is nearby for those who want to go there.
9) In town transportation is available via plentiful taxis.  Access to and
from the airport and/or ferry terminal is available via free buses that are
found outside each facility and hotel.

In short, I think Macau makes a pretty good meeting location.  Please let me
know if you have any questions regarding the meeting IEEE 802 held there.
If I don't know the answer, I can put you in contact with the meeting
organizers or members of the organization who will know the answers.

Thanks.
		-Peter