Subject: Re: [Venue-selection] IAOC requesting input on (potential) meeting cities

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 15:28:59 +0100

Sadly, I think we ought not meet in the US in the near future
as the level of uncertainty involved has sufficient potential
to cause significant problems. I do not think that the issue
of some US residents' possible travel problems with leaving
from and returning to the US outweighs the uncertainties involved
in holding an event in the US - while that is a possible issue,
it seems to me very much more probable that issues arise that
prevent non-US residents accessing a US meeting.

I've no particular inputs on the other cities, they all seem
to be credible.

I was a little surprised Prague wasn't on the list but I guess
one can get too much of a good thing;-)

And thanks for asking. I hope you also summarise the input you
got back to the IETF announce list, perhaps before Prague.

S.

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 10:10:15 -0500

> San Francisco
> Austin, TX
> Denver
> Houston
> New Orleans
> Philadelphia
> Washington DC

are we really considering meeings in trump land?  just don't.

> Ottawa
> Barcelona
> Calgary
> Helsinki
> Osaka

ottowa and calgary are a bit hard to get to, but i do not care.

i love helsinki and osaka, but the ietf is not a tourist agency.

randy