Subject: [VIPR] Phone number stored 3 times in the overlay

From: Marc Petit-Huguenin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 14:26:12 -0700

During the VIPR session in Quebec City we talked a little bit about the fact
that the VIPR server had to store each number 3 times in the overlay.  Because
each copy is itself replicated 3 times by the CHORD-OVERLAY plugin, we now have
9 copies.  The slide was originally to present the voting algorithm used when
not all 3 copies matches but the conversations moved to why we need 3 copies.

My proposal would be to drop the requirement for the 3 copies from VIPR, but to
add the requirement that the node requesting the phone number MUST also fetch
(or stat) the 2 additional replicas and use the value that matches at least one
other copy (using a majority vote prevents a rogue peer to block the access to
the phone numbers currently stored here).  If not all 3 copies are equals, then
an incident must be logged.

If there is no subsequent discussion on this in the 2 next weeks, I will modify
the specifications accordingly.

- -- 
Marc Petit-Huguenin
Personal email: [email-masked]
Professional email: [email-masked]
Blog: http://blog.marc.petit-huguenin.org