Subject: Re: [VIPR] I-D Action: draft-petithuguenin-p2psip-reload-anonymous-01.txt

From: Marc Petit-Huguenin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 07:08:10 -0700

I no longer have a company sponsoring me to work as much as I would like on
VIPR, but that does not mean that I gave up on VIPR.

You may remember that in the VIPR meeting in Paris I presented a summary of
the privacy issues in VIPR and that on one slide I presented a sketch on how
it would be possible to use RELOAD in an anonymous way[1].  The draft I just
published contains a more complete description on how this can work (note that
an IPR disclosure has been filed for this draft, and will appear in the next
few days).

I did not had the time to write an I-D explaining how to use an anonymized
RELOAD to solve VIPR privacy issues, but I can summarize it here:

- - When a VIPR peer wants to register a phone number, it uses an anonymous
Store and stores a Destination list containing the Node-ID of the first onion
peer, followed by an Onion-ID, instead of its Node-ID directly.

- - When a VIPR peer wants to run a PVP transaction, it does it inside an
end-to-end encrypted tunnel instead of over a TLS connection created by an
AppAttach.  This ensure that the IP address to reach the SIP client
(indirectly through the SIP route) will be disclosed only after the PVP
transaction succeeds and that no intermediary peer will be able to see the SIP
route and ticket.

VIPR is not meeting in Atlanta, but I plan to request time in the P2PSIP
session to present this draft.

Thanks.

[1] I also spent some time exploring an alternative idea, proposed originally
during a design team conference call, which was to interconnect VIPR overlays,
but I was not able to find a way to make it work.

On 10/15/2012 03:22 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
> directories.
> 
> 
> Title           : Anonymization for REsource LOcation And Discovery
> (RELOAD) Author(s)       : Marc Petit-Huguenin Filename        :
> draft-petithuguenin-p2psip-reload-anonymous-01.txt Pages           : 17 
> Date            : 2012-10-15
> 
> Abstract: This document presents a set of techniques that a REsource
> LOcation And Discovery (RELOAD) node may use to ensure that the use of
> high level RELOAD operations do not reveal the owner of this node.  These 
> high level features are defined as the set of operations related to data
> storage, plus the operation that permits to exchange application layer
> messages.
> 
> 
> The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is: 
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-petithuguenin-p2psip-reload-anonymous
>
>  There's also a htmlized version available at: 
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-petithuguenin-p2psip-reload-anonymous-01
> 
> A diff from the previous version is available at: 
> http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-petithuguenin-p2psip-reload-anonymous-01
>
> 
> 
> Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at: 
> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
> 

- -- 
Marc Petit-Huguenin
Email: [email-masked]
Blog: http://blog.marc.petit-huguenin.org
Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/petithug