Subject: [vnfpool] Question about addressing in pools

From: Melinda Shore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 13:18:39 -0900

It's typically the case in a stateful failover scenario that
when a device has a given address (or set of addresses), after
a failover the new instance has the same address.  The current
version of the problem statement includes the following text:
"For example, how does an instance of VNF#1 know which instance
in the pool of VNF#2"?

It seems to me that unless we're assuming the use of hardware
addressing we should probably explain why this is an issue.
If we go with rserpool or a similar mechanism, addresses are
not shared but instead a pool manager (such as an ENRP server)
is used to select "live" instances and addressing is mediated
through the pooling mechanism.

It seems to me that we should probably be prepared to discuss
the tradeoffs between the two approaches.

Melinda
-- 
Melinda Shore
No Mountain Software
[email-masked]

"Software longa, hardware brevis."