Subject: VRRP Question (fwd)

From: "P. Rakity" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 08:43:19 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I have just read draft 5 for VRRP and the RFC and I am very confused.  I
was wondering if you could answer some questions.

Assuming I have a simple network.

R1 has the IP address 192.168.254.254- It is also the Master
R2 has IP address 192.168.254.253 - it is the Slave
the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

Each Router has a connection to a WAN.  Either ISDN or some from of high
speed DSL.  The DSL links go to ISP's.

There are 20 hosts on the LAN.  They use DHCP to get their addreses.  10
of the hosts are active.  10 of the hosts are powered off.

Questions are as follows

a) What IP address(es) are contained in the IP Address field in the VRRP
packet.  From the point of view of the master and the slave (if it becomes
a master).  Eg I do not understand the meaning of the Phrase on Page 14
of the draft, "One or more IP address associated with the virtual router".

b) The ARP request send by the Master - what IP address(es) is it ARPing
for?  I would appreciate the answer from the both the master and slave's
point of view.

c) Are any packets other the reponse to an ARP request sent to any of the
Hosts on the LAN.

d) Are any packets sent to any other IP addresses on the LAN other than
the VRRP advertisements.

kind regards,

Philip Rakity

---

From: Jerome Etienne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 12:06:16 -0400

> of the draft, "One or more IP address associated with the virtual router".

It is the addresses you aim to take over using vrrp. In the rfc2338 you
can read:
"  Virtual Router         An abstract object managed by VRRP that acts
                          as a default router for hosts on a shared LAN.
                          It consists of a Virtual Router Identifier and
                          a set of associated IP address(es) across a
                          common LAN.  A VRRP Router may backup one or
                          more virtual routers."

> for?  I would appreciate the answer from the both the master and slave's

see the thread 'gratuitous arp' on this mailing list, 1 or 2 months ago.
 
> c) Are any packets other the reponse to an ARP request sent to any of the

please rephraase. i reread this sentence several time and still fail to
understand its meaning.

> d) Are any packets sent to any other IP addresses on the LAN other than

no, the only ip packets are the advertissement, and the destination is
the multicast address 224.0.0.18