Subject: [VRRP] FW: VRRP Messages

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 02:27:01 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From:	ext Hesham Elbakoury [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Fri 8/1/2003 6:42 PM
To:	Gupta Mukesh (IPRG/MtView)
Cc:	
Subject:	VRRP Messages
Hi Mukesh

   I have the following questions for you regarding VRRP:

   1- When the master router responds to ARP request, does it use the
virtual MAC address of the VR
       as the source MAC address of the layer 2 header of the ARP response ?
   2- What source MAC address is used by the routers in the VR configuration
when they send VR control
       messages (e.g. advertisements).

   Thanks

   Hesham

_______________________________________________
vrrp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vrrp

---

From: "Don Provan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 12:42:16 -0700

>        messages (e.g. advertisements).

VR advertisements, and only VR advertisements, should be sent
with a source address in the layer two header set to the VR MAC
address.

I think there are two principle reasons for not using the VR MAC
address as the layer 2 source in any other packets. First, VR
advertisements are the only packets guaranteed to only be sent
when you own the address, so it avoids the possibility of using
it when you shouldn't. Second, you always want to be able to
identify the host that sent any given packet so you can debug
problems.
-don