Subject: Re: [VRRP] VRRP MIB(s) - some questions and request for comments

From: Radia Perlman - Boston Center for Networking <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 15:53:05 -0400 (EDT)

Re: one MIB for IPv4+IPv6 that would obsolete the current IPv4-only,
or two MIBs, one for IPv4-only, and one for IPv6-only:

It would be good if someone would ask Bert Wijnen his opinion on this.

And a question...are we assuming the existence of mixed-IPv4/IPv6 VRRP
environments? (as in, might a single router be simultaneously involved
in an IPv4 and an IPv6 election)? If so, that might argue for being
one MIB. I think the authors (and others) have made good cases for
2 documents forever (rather than temporarily V4-only, to be obsoleted).
But I got the impression that Bert Wijnen would prefer a single document.

Radia

_______________________________________________
vrrp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vrrp

---

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 16:18:02 -0400

I don't presume to speak for anyone in the OPS group, but...

If you have one MIB, you tie advancement of both protocols to that MIB
in the standards process.  All must advance as one.

-- 
Jeff Haas 
NextHop Technologies

---

From: Vikram Pendharkar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 17:34:52 -0400

Radia Perlman - Boston Center for Networking wrote:

>in an IPv4 and an IPv6 election)? 
>
Some of the Ericsson solutions do envision the existence of 
mixed-IPv4/IPv-6 VRRP environments.

>If so, that might argue for being

-- 
Vikram Pendharkar			
Ericsson IP Infrastructure