Subject: In another class, freshman comp, the students like to talk.

From: "scribble" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 12:10:15 +0400

The cream of the crop for 2007 - GET IN EARLY! DSDI IS SET TO ROCK YOUR
PORTFOLIO!

DSI Direct Sales, Inc.
Symbol: DSDI
Price: $0.05

There is a MASSIVE PROMOTION underway this weekend! This is hot, read
the news and get on DSDI first thing Monday!

Jerz at 01:06 on March 11, 2006. [Alternatively, I've used handouts of
outlines with very large blank spaces or columns to invite students to
put their notes in the margins or fill out the form as I lecture. A good
resource with lots of good reads: this blog exists to share information
on those essays that teachers find particularly useful in teaching the
art and craft of literary nonfiction writing.
Warm regards, Jessica Smith, CFP Hi Jessica!
I'm happy to do a demonstration, John. Sometimes one student might
misinform the other.
But then I realized what he was raising an inquiry into the performative
activity of the teacher and the amount of energy it takes to pull off a
successful performance. I'm teaching an advanced creative writing course
this semester, and for the past few weeks we've been having full-class
workshops of short fiction.
Posted by Michael Arnzen at  0:19 in Praxis. [ For those interested in
managing the interpersonal quirks of writing workshops, I turn you to an
article in my newsletter, The Handy Job Hunter for Writers, called
"Working the Workshop". Posted by senioritis at 09:46 on April  2, 2006.
Sometimes I'll use direct "recentering" language like "listen up" or
"okay, let's begin. maybe even later in the term, as one student
recommended. (he talks, for example, on how to use a ruler to show scale
or what color marker works best for hilighting).
"  I'd press critics to give examples, reference the ideas in the book,
and generally defend their arguments. One way to think of the lecture,
in conventional terms, is that lecturing is to running discussion as
monologue is to dialogue. Maybe I need to fire that up. March 25, 2006
You Gotta Teach this Essay! I might model this by also taking notes and
putting the key words or concepts that I would expect them to know (for,
say, a test) on the board, as well.
(Incidentally, it is not the organization giving the scholarship. I felt
more tired and less creative in those lecture classes.
Still:  if you post a photo, leave a comment or send me an e-mail.
If you do mention it at the committee, Dennis, please make sure you tell
them that that water bottle I put on the ELMO was CAPPED.
Move chairs, if necessary. "Now, I know you don't enjoy being in jail,
but you have to be here, so we're going to play some games to help pass
the time a little more pleasantly.
"It helped the writers get a broad sense of their audience's response,
and it enabled everyone to feel more actively engaged," said another. On
the other hand, I miss giving papers at conferences. The teacher goes
last, bringing up any significant issues that haven't been raised, or
summarizing the key revision strategies he feels need reinforcing.
Or I'll think on my feet and generate an assignment about those points
for homework. But anything will do.
A student once got me a Xmas tree ornament that reminded her of a
Leonard Trawick poem called "At the Flying School" that I taught in our
class together. ] I will physically point at the bullet points on the
board and use "tugging" hand gestures to remind students to draw the
connections between their points and mine. When I finish my point, I'll
ask "Did that answer your question, Horatio?
But we veer chaotically off-topic quite a bit, because of competing
desires for the floor. I'm not sure if it was just my own bad luck, or
just bad timing.
It isn't the same experience!
For more tips on using the ELMO, I refer to Ray Moses' advice for
lawyers on how to present evidence in the courtroom  using a document
camera.
a lesson culled from an experience of teaching a class while feeling
under the weather. )  Anyway, thanks for the sound advice and the good
links.
Hi Michael,  I found your website by putting the phrase "recommendation
letter appreciation gift" into Google. In his weblog, my colleague
Dennis Jerz speculates about the relative energy it takes to lecture
about literature (versus leading a discussion of a text).
And I will ask questions that aren't only hypotheticals, but also
solicit answers to them. The mug sounds fine; especially if you think it
will bring a smile and a memory of you to the prof's face when they
drink their morning coffee or while they're sitting in a boring staff
meeting. I print a new one of these out every term and just tape it to
the door.
They should usually be given only during sanctioned events (like, say a
club Xmas party), a holiday, or a goodbye present after grades have been
turned in. for readers of Pedablogue.
A former professor of mine wrote a recommendation letter on my behalf
for a graduate scholarship application.
I was inspired to do this after reading the tongue-in-cheek study,
"Deconstructing Faculty Doors" by Karl M. Interested creative nonfiction
teachers are welcome to post their own capsule descriptions.
In his weblog, my colleague Dennis Jerz speculates about the relative
energy it takes to lecture about literature (versus leading a discussion
of a text).
Redundant card with basic contact info.
Sometimes I'll put objects in motion, lifting them off the stage and
bringing them closer to the camera lens, creating my own zoom effect
without relying on the awkward push-button technology.
I'll actually call on students who might seem to be drifting off and see
what they think about what I'm saying, as I'm saying it. Having the
overhead shows that my lecture is prepared, but also open to student
contributions to the issues that the questions raise.