Subject: [VRRP] Changing master priority without going down

From: "Kjeld Mortensen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 15:53:42 +0100

I have noticed that RFC2787 (Definitions of Managed Objects for the
Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol) under vrrpOperRowStatus describes
that:

 "...
  When `vrrpOperRowStatus' is set to active(1), no other
  objects in the conceptual row, with the exception of
  `vrrpOperAdminState', can be modified. Prior to setting the
  `vrrpOperRowStatus' object from `active' to a different value,
  the `vrrpOperAdminState' object must be set to `down' and the
  `vrrpOperState' object be transitioned to `initialize'.
  ..."

The implication of this is that if you change the, say, priority of
the master, then it will always transition to "initialize" and then
"backup" -- even if the master priority is set to a higher value. As
far as I can see this is an unnecessary restriction of RFC2338
(Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol), and the VRRP protocol state
machine should be able to handle priority changes without taking the
master down. Although the restriction will make the MIB implementation
simpler I don't really see why it is necessary to describe such a
restriction in the MIB.

Do you agree that RFC2338 does not imply such a restriction which
RFC2787 describes?

What is the motivation for describing such a restriction in RFC2787?

Regards,

/Kjeld H. Mortensen

_______________________________________________
vrrp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vrrp