Subject: [vwrap] #13: Binary serialization extension mechanism

From: "vwrap issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 21:48:39 -0000

#13: Binary serialization extension mechanism
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
Reporter:  markl@…              |       Owner:  markl@…            
    Type:  enhancement          |      Status:  new                
Priority:  major                |   Milestone:                     
 Version:                       |    Severity:  -                  
Keywords:  TypeSystem           |  
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 The Binary serialization provides no extension mechanism. There has been
 at least one request for an extension that the draft authors rejected for
 this round because there was no clear semantics for extending the binary
 serialization. One idea is to add a version block. Another is to provide
 clear semantics for what to do with blocks tagged by unknown tags.
 Proposals and discussion on these ideas are needed to determine if there
 is a need for these features, and if so, how they should be defined.

 NOTE: There is another ticket that is related to this. I'm just entering
 everything I had from the face-to-face. We'll merge/coalesce as needed
 later.

-- 
Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/vwrap/trac/ticket/13>
vwrap <http://tools.ietf.org/vwrap/>