Subject: [weirds] I-D Action: draft-ietf-weirds-using-http-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 05:45:42 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Web Extensible Internet Registration Data Service Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Using the Registration Data Access Protocol (RDAP) with HTTP
	Author(s)       : Andrew Lee Newton
                          Byron J. Ellacott
                          Ning Kong
	Filename        : draft-ietf-weirds-using-http-00.txt
	Pages           : 25
	Date            : 2012-09-21

Abstract:
   This document describes the usage of the Registration Data Access
   Protocol (RDAP) using HTTP.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-weirds-using-http

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-weirds-using-http-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Andy Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 21:27:19 +0000

>http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-weirds-using-http-00

Section 11.1 establishes a registry for RDAP extensions. That's the newest
thing:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-weirds-using-http-00#section-11.1

Your comments are solicited.

-andy

---

From: Francisco Obispo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 14:49:22 -0700

This is really good, I'm glad to see that we are moving in the right direction.

Cheers!

On Sep 21, 2012, at 2:27 PM, Andy Newton <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> weirds mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/weirds

Francisco Obispo 
Director of Applications and Services - ISC
email: [email-masked]
Phone: +1 650 423 1374 || INOC-DBA *3557* NOC
PGP KeyID = B38DB1BE

---

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 14:21:45 -0700

Hi Andy,
>Your comments are solicited.

You asked, I nit. :-)  Please note that this is not a review.

There are a lot of normative references.  Are all of them really necessary?

The RFC 2119 boilerplate is missing.

In the Abstract Section the usage of RDAP is described as using 
HTTP.  There isn't any mention of RESTful as in the Introduction Section.

It is better not to restate HTTP requirements.  The HTTP folks might 
not like that. :-)

The question I would ask is what is the document about.  I would get 
rid of the SAC-051.  As far as I am aware this working group is not 
producing a specification in accordance with the SSAC Report.  I 
suggest looking at the document from a specification 
perspective.  That may make it easier to get the flow of how to 
organize the material.  There isn't any Security Considerations 
section.  It's better to start thinking of that early in the process.

In Section 4.1:

   "Accept: applicaiton/rdap+json;level=0"

There is a typo for "application".

Regards,
-sm

---

From: Andy Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 12:53:45 +0000

>There are a lot of normative references.  Are all of them really

Since the references for the data types are now in json-response, we can
probably break some of them away.

>The RFC 2119 boilerplate is missing.

Probably because we aren't use 2119 language.

>HTTP.  There isn't any mention of RESTful as in the Introduction Section.

Good point.

>It is better not to restate HTTP requirements.  The HTTP folks might

Ok.

>perspective.  

Well, the reference to SAC-051 isn't as important under a unified model as
it was before. However, the term "RDAP" does come from SAC-051.

>That may make it easier to get the flow of how to

See draft-ietf-weirds-rdap-sec.

>There is a typo for "application".

Good catch. Also, I need to take out the level stuff per a thread here
earlier.

-andy