Subject: [weirds] ICANN Survey

From: Don Blumenthal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 11:37:02 -0400

Semi OT, but ICANN posted a survey last night, asking for thoughts on possible Whois technical (as opposed to policy) requirements. I am part of the Working Group that put it together, and figured that contributions from folks o this list would be particularly valuable.

Here is the ICANN announcement: http://gnso.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-13sep12-en.htm

Thanks.

Don

---

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 11:16:39 -0700

> Here is the ICANN announcement: http://gnso.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-13sep12-en.htm

Thanks, Don.

How fast will ICANN turn this into a summary after the period closes?
As we're preparing to import documents and start working on them, it
would be helpful to have this information available sooner rather than
later, whether or not we actually use what's in it.

-MSK

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Sep 2012 19:31:06 -0000

>How fast will ICANN turn this into a summary after the period closes?

In my experience, it takes quite a while for them to produce
summaries, a month or more.  I gather they're totally swamped by the
new TLD applications, so it may be even longer now.

So don't make any plans that depend on seeing the results of the
survey.  It may well be interesting, but I'd be amazed if it told us
anything that would change in any important way what we're planning to
do.

R's,
John

---

From: Steve Sheng <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 17:25:55 -0700

Hello John, 

-----Original Message-----
From: John Levine <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [weirds] ICANN Survey

>new TLD applications, so it may be even longer now.

I have checked my colleague who did this work. Currently, the survey is
scheduled to close on 10/31, and a report summarizing the survey results
will be ready by mid December 2012. We will make sure to forward a copy of
the report to the weirds working group.

Kind regards, 
Steve

>_______________________________________________
>weirds mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/weirds

---

From: Don Blumenthal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 22:07:16 -0400

I'll address both Murray and John at once.

The survey closes on October 31, which I should have said in my first
message. We hope to have preliminary results by mid-November and are
aiming to release the final resort by mid-December. Given who from ICANN
staff and the community are working on the project, the schedule shouldn't
be affected by new gTLD tasks.

We'll be happy to provide a pdf with the raw data after our survey system
finishes processing the preliminary results and we have reviewed them,

Don