Subject: [weirds] SAC055: SSAC Comment on the WHOIS Review Team Final Report

From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 12:36:20 +0000

Recently announced (sorry if this is a re-post):

http://www.icann.org/en/groups/ssac/documents/sac-055-en.pdf

Scott

---

From: Andy Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 13:25:49 +0000

>http://www.icann.org/en/groups/ssac/documents/sac-055-en.pdf

First I've seen of it. Thanks.

Having skimmed it, I have two general comments:

1. The premise of this SSAC document is that there are multiple problems
to be solved and no solution to the "WHOIS problem" will be achieved until
all perspectives are acknowledged. And then the report immediately narrows
the problem of WHOIS down to the gTLD space ignoring ccTLDs, RIRs, etcŠ If
all perspectives are to be acknowledged, the wider use of WHOIS outside of
gTLDs should be stated.

2. There are several sections on tiered access for multiple
constituencies. One of the questions asked is how an actor with elevated
access is to be identified. But there is another question in there: who is
giving out these access credentials?

Kudos to SSAC on section 3.3.2.

-andy

---

From: Don Blumenthal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 14:05:50 -0400

>all perspectives are to be acknowledged, the wider use of WHOIS outside of

At least a couple of people on this list, including me, contributed to the
report. Thanks for looking at it.

WRT this issue, scope is a good point in the general scheme of whois
issues. RIRs in particular general aren't part of discussions. However,
the Whois Review Team Report that the SSAC was commenting on properly was
limited to gTLDs. The Report was done to fulfill requirements of the
ICANN/US Department of Commerce Affirmation of Commitments, which involved
DNS issues only. On top of that, the cc space wouldn't be governed by an
ICANN Whois policy.

Don

---

From: Andy Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 18:14:46 +0000

>DNS issues only. On top of that, the cc space wouldn't be governed by an

Don, I have full faith that the members of the SSAC know the space quite
well and know the larger scope of WHOIS. However, the point might need to
be made repeatedly by the SSAC to others. The point is especially useful
to answer such assertions that everybody can just go to
http://www.internic.net and all the problems of WHOIS will be solved.

-andy

---

From: Don Blumenthal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 14:30:14 -0400

On 9/21/12 2:14 PM, "Andy Newton" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>http://www.internic.net and all the problems of WHOIS will be solved.

Agreed. I was just giving background on the scope of the Whois RT report
that might be useful when looking at the SSAC comments on it.

don