Subject: RE: [REMOTEUI] Widex charter proposal draft

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 15:23:16 +0300

Hi,

Attached is the new version of the proposed charter.

Vlad

------------------------------------------------

Description of Working Group

With the Internet reaching out to more and more devices, people are
increasingly expecting to have access to services at anytime, from
anywhere and using any device. Such services are being developed using
Web technologies such as XML and distributed across the network rather
than resident on any one device.

An example is a service to access flight arrival times, where the user
interface expressed in XHTML is rendered on a client device, the
application logic runs on a remote server and a technique as user
interface remoting is used to keep the user interface synchronized with
the application logic. What is currently lacking is a convenient means
for continous fine grained synchronization rather than the one provided
by a request/response protocol (e.g. HTTP) for Web pages, which occurs
in between page loads. This would allow the user interface to reflect
changes in application state and offer greater flexibility for
applications to respond to user input events.

The WiDeX (Widget Description Exchange Service) Working Group seeks to
define a light weight mechanism used in an IP-based network for remoting
user interfaces where the user interface is represented in XML, and
synchronization involves XML DOM events and XML DOM mutation/update
operations.

The WG will strive to preserve an extensible architecture so that the
work possibly be useful in the future with other types of descriptive
user interfaces beyond those specifically considered by the group.

Specific topics that are NOT goals of this WG are:

-	XML representation of user interface objects.
-	Means to establish sessions and support for device coordination.

The WiDeX service definition will define:

-	A mechanism for synchronizing distributed XML DOM objects by
propagating DOM mutations/updates and DOM events.
-	A set of parameters that need to be negotiated by a service
discovery and session setup mechanism in order to start the UI remoting
session.
-	A framework that enables a mechanism for remoting user
interfaces represented in XML format by using distributed XML DOM
synchronization, and a service discovery and session setup mechanism as
building blocks.

Deliverables:

-	Requirements document.
-	Document specifying the framework for remoting user interfaces
represented in XML format.
-	Document specifying the message formats for XML DOM events and
updates using XML in a way that is independent of the transport
protocol.
-	Document(s) specifying normative binding(s) to at least one
transport protocol.

It is possible that work undertaken in other working groups and even
other standards bodies (e.g. W3C) will be referenced by this working
group. It is even possible that entire deliverables could be satisfied
by the work of other working groups (e.g. discovery protocols). This
working group will seek to maximize the use of existing specifications
where applicable.

Goals and Milestones:

Nov. 2005	IETF 64, Charter Working Group
Feb. 2006	Working Group Last Call on Requirements draft
March 2006	IETF 65, Discuss Last Call comments on Requirements
draft
April 2006	Submit Requirements draft to IESG for publication as
Informational RFC
June 2006	Working Group Last Call on Framework, Message Formats
and Transport Bindings drafts
Aug. 2006	IETF 66, Discuss Last Call comments on Framework,
Message Formats and Transport Bindings drafts
Nov. 2006	IETF 67, Submit Framework, Message Formats and Transport
Bindings drafts for publication as Proposed Standard

Internet-Drafts:

LRDP: The Lightweight Remote Display Protocol,
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-stirbu-lrdp-00.txt

_______________________________________________
REMOTEUI mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/remoteui

---

From: Dave Raggett <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 22:46:37 +0100 (BST)

Hi Vlad,

I presented the RemoteUI work at the W3C Multimodal Interaction
working group's face to face meeting (19-21 September 2005), see

   http://www.w3.org/2005/Talks/0919-dsr-remoteui/

One thing that came up was the need for the server to be able
to send events to the UI as well as updates. The UI may have
default event handlers for these events, or such event handlers
may be set via markup or scripts. In some cases the DOM update
messages may not be needed.

Further input from the MMI working group should be available
in mid-October.

I am unsure about the "WiDeX" name, as the protocol isn't really 
about widgets, and I believe that "Widget Description Exchange 
Service" will confuse people since the protocol won't define 
widgets. I understand that "Remote User Interface" may be seen as 
too broad, so it seems like we should continue to look for a more 
apt name than either WiDeX or RemoteUI.

With a view to chartering the working group in time for Vancouver,
it seems like it would be a good idea to get some feedback from
the Area directors on the draft charter, so that we can make any
necessary changes before formally submitting the charter.
Is this an action you could take on?

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 [email-masked] wrote:

> With the Internet reaching out to more and more devices, people 
> are increasingly expecting to have access to services at anytime, 
> from anywhere and using any device. Such services are being 
> developed using Web technologies such as XML and distributed 
> across the network rather than resident on any one device.
>
> An example is a service to access flight arrival times, where the 
> user interface expressed in XHTML is rendered on a client device, 
> the application logic runs on a remote server and a technique as 
> user interface remoting is used to keep the user interface 
> synchronized with the application logic. What is currently lacking 
> is a convenient means for continous fine grained synchronization 
> rather than the one provided by a request/response protocol (e.g. 
> HTTP) for Web pages, which occurs in between page loads. This 
> would allow the user interface to reflect changes in application 
> state and offer greater flexibility for applications to respond to 
> user input events.
>
> The WiDeX (Widget Description Exchange Service) Working Group 
> seeks to define a light weight mechanism used in an IP-based 
> network for remoting user interfaces where the user interface is 
> represented in XML, and synchronization involves XML DOM events 
> and XML DOM mutation/update operations.
>
> The WG will strive to preserve an extensible architecture so that 
> the work possibly be useful in the future with other types of 
> descriptive user interfaces beyond those specifically considered 
> by the group.
>
>   discovery and session setup mechanism in order to start the UI 
>   remoting session.
>   interfaces represented in XML format by using distributed XML 
>   DOM synchronization, and a service discovery and session setup 
>   mechanism as building blocks.
>
> Deliverables:
>
> - Requirements document.
> It is possible that work undertaken in other working groups and 
> even other standards bodies (e.g. W3C) will be referenced by this 
> working group. It is even possible that entire deliverables could 
> be satisfied by the work of other working groups (e.g. discovery 
> protocols). This working group will seek to maximize the use of 
> existing specifications where applicable.
>
> Goals and Milestones:
>

- -- 
  Dave Raggett <[email-masked]>  W3C lead for multimodal interaction
  http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett +44 1225 866240 (or 867351)