Subject: [Wpack] Displaying "(offline)" in URL

From: Devin Mullins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2020 17:20:14 -0700

Catching up on https://www.ietf.org/jabber/logs/wpack/2020-03-25.html, I
saw some mention of displaying "offline" in the URL/origin bar if the
transfer request takes longer than a few seconds. Perhaps I'm picking a
nit, but I'd caution against displaying "offline" unless that's really the
case. The user may confusedly try to restart their router or something.
Then again, I'm not a UX person, so grain of salt.

Thanks,
Devin

---

From: Jeffrey Yasskin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 10:47:04 -0700

I think it makes a lot of sense to have the client tell the user that
they're looking at possibly-out-of-date information. In addition to Mike
Bishop's "Origin as of <datetime>", I think the idea of a "Snapshot"
indication in the url bar has come up. You can see something similar (using
"Offline", actually) on Android Chrome if you use the ⤓ icon to save a page
locally and then open it:
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/7343019?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en&oco=1
.

Individual pages can use Javascript to warn users about stale content in
their own UI too.

I agree that it's worth letting client UX teams figure out what terminology
is best for their users instead of having this group try to guess
something, but I think the IETF is pretty good about avoiding this sort of
precise UX decision.

Jeffrey

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 5:20 PM Devin Mullins <twifkak=
[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Wpack mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/wpack
>