Subject: Call for Participation: Workshop on Caching, Coherence, and Consistency (WC3 '01)

From: WC3 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:12:23 -0400 (EDT)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

			   CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

          Workshop on Caching, Coherence and Consistency (WC3 '01)

                         Sorrento, Italy, June 17, 2001

                     to be held in conjunction with the
       2001 ACM International Conference on Supercomputing (ICS '01)

		      URL: http://www.cs.rutgers.edu/~wc3/
			   email: [email-masked]
			
Overview		

The workshop focuses on three remarkably persistent topics in computer
systems research: caching, coherence and consistency. For a long time
these topics were associated with parallel and distributed systems
only. More recently, caching, coherence and consistency issues are
being revisited in the context of mobile computing and the world-wide
web. Our goal with this workshop is to provide a forum for researchers
from all of these communities to present and exchange ideas on these
three topics. Thus, we intend this workshop to cover a range of
domains, from more traditional ones such as hardware and software
cache coherence schemes and multiprocessor memory consistency models,
to coherence and consistency issues in file systems and mobile data,
to content caching and consistency issues in replicated data and
services on the web. This workshop can be seen as a continuation of
the WSDSM workshops that were held in conjunction with the last two
ICS conferences but with an extended scope and addressing a
significantly broader audience.

Advance Program

9:00 -- 9:15 Opening

9:15 -- 10:35 Session 1: Web Caching and Embedded and Mobile Systems

   * "Evaluating Cooperative Web Caching Protocols for Emerging Network
     Technologies" by C. Lindermann and O. Waldhorst (Univ. of Dortmund)
   * "The Effectivenes of Cache Coherence Implemented on the Web" by F.
     Doswell, M. Abrams, and S. Varadarajan (Virginia Tech)
   * "A Source Level Optimization Technique to Improve Cache Exploitation in
     Embedded Systems" by S. Bartolini and C. Prete (Univ. di Pisa)
   * "CONCA: An Architecture for Consistent Nomadic Content Access" by W.
     Shi and V. Karamcheti (New York Univ.)

10:35 -- 10:50 Break

10:50 -- 12:10 Invited Talk

   * Chistine Morin (IRISA/INRIA) -- "Gobelins: An Efficient Single 
     System Image OS for a Cluster based on a Low Level Distributed 
     Shared Memory"

12:10 -- 1:30 Lunch

1:30 -- 2:50 Session 2: Shared Memory Systems

   * "A Comparison Study of Data Cache Schemes Exploiting Reuse Information
     in Multiprocessor Systems" by J. Sahuquillo, A. Pont, S. Petit, and V.
     Milutinovic (Univ. Politecnica de Valencia and Univ. of Belgrade)
   * "Adapting DSS Workloads through Coherence Protocols" by P. Foglia, C.
     Prete, and R. Giorgi (Univ. di Pisa and Univ. di Siena)
   * "Dynamic Data Replication for Tolerating Single Node Failures in Shared
     Virtual Memory Clusters of Workstations" by R. Christodoulopoulou and
     A. Bilas (Univ. of Toronto)
   * "Compiler-based Object Consistency" by C. von Praun and T. Gross
     (Carnegie-Mellon Univ.)

2:50 -- 3:05 Break

3:05 -- 4:25 Invited Talk

   * Vijay Karamcheti (New York Univ.) -- "CANS: Composable, Adaptive 
     Network Services Infrastructure"

4:25 -- 5:05 Session 3: File Systems

   * "Adverse Filtering Effects and the Resilience of Aggregating Caches" by
     A. Amer and D. Long (UC Santa Cruz)
   * "Caching Files with a Program-based Last N Successors Model" by T. Yeh,
     D. Long, and S. Brandt (UC Santa Cruz)

5:05 -- 5:45 Discussion and Closing Remarks

WC3 Registration and Hotel

The registration and hotel information can be found on the ICS '01 Web
page, http://www.cib.na.cnr.it/ics01/.

Program Committee

Ricardo Bianchini       Rutgers University (co-chair)
Mark Crovella           Boston University
Fred Douglis            AT&T
Babak Falsafi           Carnegie Mellon University
Mark Heinrich           Cornell University
Liviu Iftode            Rutgers University (co-chair)
Pete Keleher            University of Maryland
Bruce Maggs             Carnegie Mellon University
Christine Morin         IRISA, France
Amin Vahdat             Duke University

Workshop Organizers

Ricardo Bianchini and Liviu Iftode
Department of Computer Science
Rutgers University
Piscataway, NJ 08854-8019
E-mail: {ricardob,[email-masked]