Subject: Pointers to Dynamic Content Distribution research.

From: "Amr A. Awadallah" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 11:12:43 -0700

Hi,

  I am looking for pointers to research work in the area of dynamic content
(interactive services) caching and distribution, i.e. how can services be
moved closer to demand hot spots, e.g. maps.yahoo.com is a dynamic interactive
service for which caching the map static image returned is useless since each
user is looking at a different map, but the underlying server code and geo
database could be cached since it is the same for all users. The hard part is
providing mobility for such a service given all code dependencies it might
have.

  Included at end of this message is a bibliography of relevant research work
that I was able to find. Pointers to any additional work, even in progress
work, would be truly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-- Amr

Relevant papers:

[12]    "A Publishing System for Efficiently Creating Dynamic Web Content",
INFOCOM 2000. Jim Challenger, Arun Iyengar, Karen Witting, Cameron Ferstat,
Paul Reed. http://www.research.ibm.com/people/i/iyengar/infocom2000.ps
[15]    "Improving Web Server Performance by Caching Dynamic Data", 1997
USENIX
Symposium on Internet Technologies and Systems. Arun Iyengar, Jim Challenger. 
http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/rd/57565739%2C270002%2C1%2C0.25%2CDownload/http%253A%252F%252Fciteseer.nj.nec.com/cache/papers2/cs/13586/http%253AzSzzSzns.cheju-e.ac.krzSz%257EjkimzSzweb_oszSzdynamic1-cache.pdf/iyengar97improving.pdf
[18]    "Edge Side Includes"
http://www.edge-delivery.org/
http://www.akamai.com/html/en/nr/press/press242.html
[25]    "Enabling Full Service Surrogates Using the Portable Channel
Representation", 10th Intl. WWW Conference. Beck, Moore, Abrahamsson,
Achouiantz and Johansson.
http://www.www10.org/cdrom/papers/212/index.html
[27]    "Active Cache: Caching Dynamic Contents on the Web", Proceedings of
Middleware 1998.  Pei Cao, Jin Zhang, and Kevin Beach.
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~zj/active-cache/
[42]    "An Architecture for Content Routing Support in the Internet", USITS
'01,
March 2001. Mark Gritter and David R. Cheriton.
http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/tzoompy/summaries/content_routing_problem.txt
[Content routing by hostname routing instead of ip routing]
[44]    "Exploiting result equivalence in caching dynamic web content", Oct
1999,
USENIX Symposium on Internet Technology and Systems. Ben Smith, Anurag
Acharya, Tao Yang, and Huican Zhu
[45]    "Cooperative Caching of Dynamic Content on a Distributed Web Server", 
1998, 7th IEEE Intnl Symposium on High Performance Distributed Computing. V.
Holmedahl, B. Smith, and T. Yang.
http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~tyang/papers/hpdc7swala.ps