Subject: CFP: The 1st International Workshop on Peer-to-Peer Systems (IPTPS'02)

From: "Ant Rowstron" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 06:00:44 -0700

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION: IPTPS'02

  The 1st International Workshop on Peer-to-Peer Systems (IPTPS'02)

                            7-8 March, 2002
                 MIT Faculty Club, Cambridge, MA, USA.

              http://www.cs.rice.edu/Conferences/IPTPS02/

Peer-to-peer has emerged as a promising new paradigm for distributed
computing.  The 1st International Workshop on Peer-to-Peer Systems
(IPTPS'02) aims to provide a forum for researchers active in
peer-to-peer computing to discuss the state-of-the-art and to identify
key research challenges in peer-to-peer computing.

The goal of the workshop is to examine peer-to-peer technologies,
applications and systems, and also to identify key research issues and
challenges that lie ahead.  In the context of this workshop,
peer-to-peer systems are characterized as being decentralized,
self-organizing distributed systems, in which all or most
communication is symmetric.  Topics of interest include, but are not
limited to:

   * novel peer-to-peer applications and systems
   * peer-to-peer infrastructure
   * security in peer-to-peer systems
   * anonymity and anti-censorship
   * performance of peer-to-peer systems
   * workload characterization for peer-to-peer systems

The program of the workshop will be a combination of invited review 
talks, presentations of position papers, and discussions. To ensure
a productive workshop environment, attendance will be limited to about
35 participants who are active in the field.  Each potential
participant should submit a position paper of 5 pages or less that
exposes a new problem, advocates a specific solution, or reports on
actual experience.  Participants will be invited based on the
originality, technical merit and topical relevance of their submissions,
as well as the likelihood that the ideas expressed in their submissions
will lead to insightful technical discussions at the workshop.  Please
do not submit abbreviated versions of journal or conference papers.

Online copies of the position papers will be made available prior to
the workshop.  We are investigating the possibility of producing a
printed proceedings, including a summary of the interactions at the
workshop, which would be mailed to participants after the workshop.

Steering committee:

Peter Druschel, Rice University, USA
Frans Kaashoek, MIT, USA
Antony Rowstron, Microsoft Research, UK
Scott Shenker, ACIRI, Berkeley, USA
Ion Stoica, UC Berkeley, USA

Organizing chairs: 

Frans Kaashoek, MIT, USA
Antony Rowstron, Microsoft Research, UK

Program Committee:

Ross Anderson, Cambridge University, UK
Roger Dingledine, Reputation Technologies, Inc., USA
Peter Druschel, Rice University, USA (co-chair)
Steve Gribble, University of Washington, USA
David Karger, MIT, USA
John Kubiatowicz, UC Berkeley, USA
Robert Morris, MIT, USA
Antony Rowstron, Microsoft Research, UK (co-chair)
Avi Rubin, AT&T Labs - Research, USA
Scott Shenker, ACIRI, Berkeley, USA
Ion Stoica, UC Berkeley, USA

Guidelines for Submission:

To submit, authors should follow the instructions at
http://www.cs.rice.edu/Conferences/IPTPS02/submit/.  Papers must be
submitted by 18:00 GMT, Monday, 3 December 2001.  The length of the
paper must not exceed 5 pages (11pt font, 1 inch margins).  All
submissions will be acknowledged by email within 24 hours of receipt.

Important Dates:

   * 3 December 2001 : Submission of position papers
   * 4 February 2002 : Notification of Acceptance/Rejection
   * 1 March 2002    : Final copies of accepted papers
   * 7-8 March 2002  : IPTPS'02