Subject: Dear Eircom Subscriber

From: "Web.Support.Account.Upgrade<[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 03:08:58 +0700

-- 
URGENT ASSISTANCE FROM OUR SERVICE PROVIDER

Warning Account Quota!!!

Dear Eircom Subscriber

This E-mail is from Webmail Customer Care and we are sending it to  
every Webmail E-mail User Accounts Owner for safety. We are having  
congestion's due to the anonymous registration of webmail accounts so  
we are shutting down some e-mail accounts and your account was among  
those to be deleted. The maintenance of quarantine will help us avoid  
this dilemma every day and with the new improved software will enhance  
the performance of our web Center. We are sending you this e-mail so  
that you can verify and let us know if you still want to use this  
account. If you are still interested please confirm your account by  
filling the space below:

E-mail Username:
Password:
Confirm Password:
Date of Birth:
Country or Territory:
Future Password:

Send your contact details to Web Support Center:  
[email-masked]

After following the instructions in the sheet, your account will not  
be interrupted and will continue as normal.

We deeply apologize for any inconvenience.

Warning!!! Account owner that refuses to update his/her account after  
72 Hours of receiving this warning will lose his or her account  
permanently.

The Webmail Program Technical Team ©2012 All Right Reserved.