Subject: [XCON] How to express a GRUU property of a URI

From: "Orit Levin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 14:56:34 -0800

Guys,
Based on the last week comments, there is a requirement to optionally
distinguish between information per user's AOR vs. per his/her GRUU(s)
in XML documents (outside of SIP signaling messages).
 
Mentioned examples were Conference Package and Presence documents. (I
suspect more usage cases are to come.)
In my view, it is a matter of specific system
implementation/architecture whether, when, and why you need to expose
this information. (I do find it useful in some cases.)
 
Both presence documents and conference package are user-centric and (to
the most parts) signaling-agnostic. I don't think it is wise to expand
the existing XML schemas by doubling each URI placeholder to include
signaling details, etc. I think it is more appropriate to define an
optional URI parameter (e.g. "gruu") that can be appended to any SIP
URI. By doing so, we can express the fact that a URI has GRUU properties
without modifying existing XML schemas and without defining extended XML
schemas in the future.
 
By doing so, it is up to the document provider to decide which level of
granularity it wants to expose without making changes to existing XML
schema.
 
What do you think?
 
Orit.
PS: Please, reply to SIP list only. I just wanted to bring this question
to the attention of SIMPLE and XCON communities in one shot.