Subject: [XCON] Meeting re IM Private Messages

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 21:37:36 -0500

Just in case there are people who are interested in conferencing issues, but
not on the SIMPLE mail list, be aware that there is a thread  that proposes
a "Private Message" to a member of an IM chat session which is different
from a sidebar.  The fundamental difference is whether a new dialog is
required.  You might recall a similar discussion when we concluded (against
my views) that sidebars would be a separate dialog.  Some of us think that a
private message is just a sidebar, others view them as different.

We are going to discuss this over lunch tomorrow in IETF59.  Meet at the reg
area.

Brian

_______________________________________________
XCON mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xcon

---

From: Alan Johnston <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 23:12:24 -0600

Thanks for pointing this out, Brian.

This, plus today's discussion of nicknames in sipping made me realize that 
we seem to have lost a CPCP requirement that a participant be able to 
request identify anonymity with respect to the other participants in the 
conference.  I know the design team talked about this long ago.   This 
information would then be used to override the normal information provided 
in the sipping conference package.

If such a mechanism were present, it could be extended to cover nick names, 
in which a participant would use CPCP to set a nickname that could be used 
in place of their normal display name and URI.

Thanks,
Alan Johnston
MCI
sip:[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 15:47:55 +0200

Conference policy should indicate if an anonymous user is allowed to participate or not (note that we agreed that for closed conferences, an anonymous user needs to be authenticated as well. He is only anonymous to other participants).

So, after a user's identity is asserted, he can put "anonymous" in the from header and send whatever nickname he wants in the INVITE.

/Hisham

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of ext
> Alan Johnston
> Sent: 03.March.2004 07:12
> To: Rosen, Brian; [email-masked]'
> Subject: Re: [XCON] Meeting re IM Private Messages
> 
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 10:28:43 +0200

Hi,

> This, plus today's discussion of nicknames in sipping made me 
> realize that we seem to have lost a CPCP requirement that a participant 
> be able to request identify anonymity with respect to the other 
> participants in the conference.  
> I know the design team talked about this long ago.   This 
> information would then be used to override the normal 
> information provided in the sipping conference package.

Current draft says the following:
   REQ-A6: It MUST be possible to anonymously participate in a
   conference.

--
Petri