Subject: [XCON] CPCP issue 4: refer

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 18:39:40 +0300

Chris brought this up already in a separate thread.

Currently, it is possible to ask the focus to refer users to the conference.  An optional Boolean attribute "refer" exists in the <ACL-target-URI> that indicates to the server that the creator of the conference wishes for the focus to refer the identified potential participants to the conference when a conference occurrence has started.  In SIP, this is achieved by the focus sending a REFER request to those potential participants.

Some people commented that this really belongs to the Dial-out list. My view is that it belongs to the ACL for the following reasons:

- The focus is not really dialling out to the users, but merely referring them. DL tells the focus to dial-out. I.e. create a session with the participant.
- The users then dial in and therefore an entry in the ACL is needed anyway to give them permission to dial in. If we place the refer in the DL, then we need 2 entries for every referred participant. One in DL and the other in ACL. That makes modifying the conference policy a little more difficult.

I prefer to keep it in the ACL.  I would like to get other people's view on this.

Regards,
Hisham

_______________________________________________
XCON mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xcon

---

From: Alan Johnston <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 08:17:15 -0500

At 06:39 PM 5/20/2004 +0300, [email-masked] wrote:
>Currently, it is possible to ask the focus to refer users to the 
>conference.  An optional Boolean attribute "refer" exists in the 
><ACL-target-URI> that indicates to the server that the creator of the 
>conference wishes for the focus to refer the identified potential 
>participants to the conference when a conference occurrence has 
>started.  In SIP, this is achieved by the focus sending a REFER request to 
>those potential participants.
>
>Some people commented that this really belongs to the Dial-out list. My 
>view is that it belongs to the ACL for the following reasons:
>
>- The focus is not really dialling out to the users, but merely referring 
>them. DL tells the focus to dial-out. I.e. create a session with the 
>participant.
>- The users then dial in and therefore an entry in the ACL is needed 
>anyway to give them permission to dial in. If we place the refer in the 
>DL, then we need 2 entries for every referred participant. One in DL and 
>the other in ACL. That makes modifying the conference policy a little more 
>difficult.

I would tend to disagree, but not strongly.  The ACL seems to only need to 
accessed by the focus when it receives a request.  The DL seems to be the 
set of actions taken by the focus to get it started.

Another reason for putting referred participants in the DL is if the 
participant does not support REFER.  That is, if the focus sends a REFER 
and the participant sends a 405, it is likely that the focus will switch to 
dial out mode and send an INVITE.  We could also make this a policy 
setting.  However, I think this argues that the referred participants 
should be in the DL.

Thanks,
Alan Johnston
MCI
sip:[email-masked]