Subject: [XCON] Updated draft-ietf-xcon-framework-02

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 14:10:54 -0500

Hi all,

I submitted the updated version of the framework earlier today. Until it
appears in the repository, it's available at:
http://home.comcast.net/~mary.barnes/IETF/draft-ietf-xcon-framework-02.t
xt
http://home.comcast.net/~mary.barnes/IETF/draft-ietf-xcon-framework-02.h
tml

A summary of changes is listed below. There were quite a few changes in
anticipation of completing this document. Thanks again to the folks that
provided the detailed reviews. Just a note that a few things that I
mentioned, in original responses to your comments, as needing additional
WG discussion (i.e. policy, blueprint terminology and cloning
terminology), are believed to be resolved with this new version.
Further detail is provided in the summary of changes below. If you feel
that the changes still don't adequately address your original concern,
please start a separate thread for discussion (with proposed text
changes towards resolution).  

We do still have some open issues, with the primary ones being DP4 and
DP5 related.   

Summary of issues:
------------------

1)  Dave Morgan did bring up a specific point related to DP4 and it
would be useful to have follow-up discussion under that thread:
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/xcon/current/msg01488.html  

2) There had been a couple suggestions to remove details in the section
on the CCP.  However, we've left that section primarily unchanged until
the WG can agree a way forward.  Then we can replace all the details
with text on the general requirements and an overview of the solution
for the conference control protocol.  This is of course, DP5. 

3) There are a few areas of the document where we have placeholders for
additional references and/or "Editor's notes:" where additional text is
needed.  A couple of these are just "ran out of time" areas, whereas
others require agreement on whether other documents should become WG
documents, thus included as references in the FW. 

Once we can agree these primary issues, and include the appropriate
references to agreed documents in progress, this framework document
should be complete. 

Summary of changes:
-------------------

1) Editorial nits (many of which should improve the readability and
clarity of the document -i.e. consistent terminology, capatilization,
etc.). 

2) Revamped abstract and introduction per suggestions from Henning and
others. 

3) Global removal of XCON as a qualifier (we had previously done this in
a previous version with all the identifiers).  In some cases it was
necessary, at all and it others, it was just a matter of changing to
using the phrase "centralized conferencing".

4) Global change of "call control signalling" to "call signalling"

5) Moved the terminology section after the Overview section.  
- Modified the definitions to be more concise and per some of Henning's
recommendations.
- Added definition for blueprint, clarifying its relationship to
templates.
- Added definition of conference reservation. 

6) Clarified the definition of policy and added more explicit text as to
how policy is accomplished via the data model and system realization
(section 4.3 and 6.1).  This should address the concerns raised on the
mailing list about lack of clarity and confusion over whether the policy
is part of the data object or something different.  

7) Removed the Editor's note/text in section 4 about the options for the
schema (that approach never helped the WG reach any consensus).   I've
just added a reference to a TBD schema document. 

8) Section 5: 
-  clarified the identifiers.  Kept the logical definition as
"identifiers", although most will be realized as URIs. 
- deleted the section on conference instance. There is a basic
definition in terminology that should suffice.  Old text was causing
more confusion than clarity.  
-  removed the term "umbrella" from sections conference User and
conference object identifier sections
- moved alot of detail from Conference User Identifier and conference
Object Identifier sections into appendices, and adding additional
detail, that will become the basis for separate documents.   

9) In section 6:
-  added a bit of explanation as to the intent of the cloning tree model
- it's not implementation binding, but rather to illustrate the data
model and context for the protocol interactions. 
-  removed the term copying altogether.  Cloning is the model and the
idea is that the cloned object contains data indentical to the parent
when it was created (whether it gets "copied" or whatever from the
parent is an implementation issue). 
- introduce the blueprint concept in section 6.1 prior to its implied
usage in 6.2 and 6.3. 
- removed the usage of the term occurrence (which is just a child
reservation).

10) Remove security related details from Floor Control section and
moving those to the security section.  As a result removed most of the
editorial notes from the front of the Floor control section and
integrated the remaining ones inline into that section, where the
resolution should be documented.  

11) Section 8: 
-  Added new example 8.1 - conference creation
-  Added a placeholder for a more detailed example to the sidebar
manipulations example to show a sidebar which has some media
specifically associated with the sidebar (i.e. audio), yet still use the
main conference for other media (visual presentation).

12) As a result of adding additional information to the security
section, divided this section into subsections for clarity. 

Regards,
Mary.

_______________________________________________
XCON mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xcon