Subject: RE: [XCON] RE: Comments on draft-ietf-xcon-framework-07.txt

From: "Chris Boulton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 10:13:17 +0100

[Chris Boulton] Some more comments in-line.

Hi Gonzalo,

Thanks for your comments - responses are embedded below [MB].

Mary

-----Original Message-----
From: Gonzalo Camarillo [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 7:39 AM
To: XCON
Cc: Barnes, Mary (RICH2:AR00)
Subject: Comments on draft-ietf-xcon-framework-07.txt

Hi,

a few comments on the XCON framework.

The title of the framework, the abstract, and several sections, state 
that this document defines a data model for centralized conferencing. 
This is confusing because the framework does not actually define the 
data model; the data model draft does. Therefore, I would suggest that 
the framework clearly states that the definition of the data model is in

the data model draft.

The document has a section (Section 2) that references RFC 2119 but then

does not use normative language. If the idea is to have an informational

framework, that section can be removed.

The 1st paragraph of Section 5 states that the common conference 
information type is extensible for including multiple sub-type. What 
exactly does that mean? Extensions to the data model will continue using

the same media type.

[MB] Good catch. That is a leftover from the removal of the template
concepts.  I think it should just read: "The common conference
information type is extensible." [/MB]

[Chris Boulton] Agreed.

The 2nd paragraph of Section 5.2 says that policies are not explicitly 
defined within the data model, but rather are reflected in the system 
realization. Given that policies will be studied after the data model is

completed, I would avoid talking to much about policies until we have a 
clear view on how they will be implemented.

[MB] I agree that much of that section no longer fits based on the
discussion from IETF-68 (and this also impacts the last paragraph of
section 5).

[Chris Boulton] I agree with this - it would even be worth referencing
that this is subject to future study and work by the XCON WG.  This will
help avoid confusion.

Did we ever take that point to the mailing list as a conclusion or does
anyone have any concerns about removing this whole section and munging
section 5.1 into section 5 and having only a general statement about
policy?  I'll take this item as an issue to the mailing list, as I don't
think many people are going to read it here :) [/MB]

Section 7.1 describes the cloning tree. Part of that concept is the 
cloning of policies. Again, since policies are for further study, I 
would avoid talking too much about them at this point. In fact, this 
cloning tree concept will probably need to be further described in the 
policies draft to be written in the future.

[MB] I still think we need this parent enforceable concept here, no
matter how we implement the policies.  I think this is one of the
reasons why I was one of the ones that did not want to remove all the
policy data from the data model (i.e., I think some of the basic
read/write and allowed sort of stuff may be necessary).  Again, I'll
take this point as part of the discussion of the issue to the list.
[/MB]

Nits:

[MB] I'll fix these in the -08. [/MB]

Page 5, 3rd paragraph.
OLD:
A Binary Floor Control Protocol (BFCP)...

NEW:
A floor control protocol (e.g., BFCP)...

Figure 1: spacing problem on the right-most vertical line (which is made

of dots).

Figure 2: the same type of spacing problem.

Cheers,

Gonzalo

_______________________________________________
XCON mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xcon

Information contained in this e-mail and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee only, and may contain confidential information of Ubiquity Software Corporation. All unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the addressee, please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies of this email. Ubiquity Software Corporation plc, a company registered under the laws of England and Wales, Registration 2719723, registered offices at Eastern Business Park, Building 3, Wern Fawr Lane, St. Mellons, Cardiff CF3 5EA, Wales, United Kingdom.

_______________________________________________
XCON mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xcon