Subject: [XCON] Common-data-model -- video-layout

From: "Krishna Prasad Kalluri" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 11:41:55 +0100

Hi,

I have a question related to the video-layout element in XCON common
data model.

Question 1:

The video-layout element is defined in the conference description level.
So one video conference will have only one layout. That means

1) From the conference mixer point of view its only one output mix. 
2) All participants view the same layout.

Is my understanding correct? If so the video-layout description in
common-data-model is giving a different impression. From the text below
I got an impression that each participant can have different layout.

The <video-layout> element is used in conjunction with a video
stream to specify how the video streams (of participants) are
viewed by each participant.  Only one layout type can be
specified for each output stream

Question 2:

In the data model is it possible to include video-layout per
participant. May be its correct to say per endpoint. If the display of
endpoint is small (mobile phone) a participant can select a smaller
layout (Eg: dual-view) . If the endpoint display is large (pc) a
participant can select a bigger layout. Of course this causes more
processing in the mixer to generate several output mixes.

In H.248.19 it is possible to specify one layout type per termination. 

So in the data model I like to propose to add  

Users->user->endpoint->controls->video-layout

Any way the summary is I like to see layout per participant (endpoint)

Regards
Krishna

_______________________________________________
XCON mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xcon

---

From: Lorenzo Miniero <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 12:07:11 +0100

Hi Krishna,

you can still achieve what you want, by defining more video output  
streams with different layouts, and attaching participants to them  
according to your needs (e.g. a lightweight stream for all mobile  
users, and a heavier stream for others). It's not as straightforward  
as having a custom layout for each user, but it's compliant, for  
instance, with how videomixing is currently handled in the MEDIACTRL  
mixer package.

Lorenzo

-- 
Lorenzo Miniero, Junior Researcher
Dipartimento di Informatica e Sistemistica
Universita' degli Studi di Napoli "Federico II"
Via Claudio 21 -- 80125 Napoli (Italy)
Phone: +390817683821 - Fax: +390817683816
Email: [email-masked]
_______________________________________________
XCON mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xcon

---

From: "Krishna Prasad Kalluri" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 12:45:18 +0100

Hi Lorenzo,

How do define a layout per video stream? As I understood its possible to
define a video layout per mix (conference)

Regards
Krishna 

-----Original Message-----
From: Lorenzo Miniero [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: den 24 november 2008 12:07
To: Krishna Prasad Kalluri
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [XCON] Common-data-model -- video-layout

Hi Krishna,

you can still achieve what you want, by defining more video output
streams with different layouts, and attaching participants to them
according to your needs (e.g. a lightweight stream for all mobile users,
and a heavier stream for others). It's not as straightforward as having
a custom layout for each user, but it's compliant, for instance, with
how videomixing is currently handled in the MEDIACTRL mixer package.

Lorenzo

Quoting Krishna Prasad Kalluri <[email-masked]>:

> common-data-model is giving a different impression. From the text 
> below I got an impression that each participant can have different
layout.
>
> The <video-layout> element is used in conjunction with a video stream 
> to specify how the video streams (of participants) are viewed by each 
> participant.  Only one layout type can be specified for each output 
> stream
>
> Question 2:
>

Dipartimento di Informatica e Sistemistica Universita' degli Studi di
Napoli "Federico II"

---

From: Lorenzo Miniero <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 12:56:19 +0100

Hi Krishna,

you can define a video layout per video stream, which is different  
than per conference. In fact, you can have more mixes in the same  
conference. You can have more <entry> elements in <available-media>,  
each of whom may have a different <video-layout> if it's a video  
stream. Which participant should be attached to which stream can be  
defined in the data model as well.

Lorenzo