Subject: [XCON] Syntax of <src-id> field in the conference event package

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 13:08:18 -0400

Hello, all --

The other, minor issue I raised at the XCON meeting in Stockholm is that the
SIPPING conference event package (RFC 4575) doesn't actually define the
syntax of the <src-id> element when it's used to represent SSRC values.

SSRCs in RTP are just four binary octets; I've seen systems that, for
instance, interpret them in host byte order (to avoid a generally-
unnecessary ntohl() call), and many systems print them in hexadecimal rather
than decimal when debugging.

It looks like the intention of the conference event package is to interpret
the SSRC as an unsigned 32-bit network-byte-order value, and print it in
decimal -- is there any dispute about this?  And is there any easy
(lightweight) way to define this anywhere without needing an update to 4575?
(The common data model could define it, of course, but this is more in the
spirit of a correction to 4575 than extensions to it.)

-- 
Jonathan Lennox
[email-masked] / [email-masked]