Subject: [XCON] Fwd: Publication Request for draft-ietf-xcon-ccmp-10.txt

From: Alan Johnston <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 10:14:17 -0500

FYI

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Publication Request for draft-ietf-xcon-ccmp-10.txt
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 10:12:13 -0500
From: Alan Johnston <[email-masked]>
To: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
CC: Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>, [email-masked],  Gonzalo
Camarillo <[email-masked]>

Robert

This is the publication request for
draft-ietf-xcon-ccmp-10.txt.  The PROTO writeup is included.

- Alan -
co-chair XCON

- - - - -

Document Writeup

As required by RFC 4858, this is the current template for the Document
Shepherd Write-Up.

Changes are expected over time. This version is dated September 17, 2008.

  (1.a) Who is the Document Shepherd for this document?  Has the
        Document Shepherd personally reviewed this version of the
        document and, in particular, does he or she believe this
        version is ready for forwarding to the IESG for publication?

Alan Johnston is the Document Shepherd.  I have personally reviewed the
draft-ietf-xcon-ccmp-10.txt version of this document and
believe it is ready for forwarding to the IESG for publication.

  (1.b) Has the document had adequate review both from key WG members
        and from key non-WG members? Does the Document Shepherd have
        any concerns about the depth or breadth of the reviews that
        have been performed?

This document has had good review both within and outside the working
group.  I have no concerns about the reviews that have been performed.

  (1.c) Does the Document Shepherd have concerns that the document
        needs more review from a particular or broader perspective,
        e.g., security, operational complexity, someone familiar with
        AAA, internationalization or XML?

No.

  (1.d) Does the Document Shepherd have any specific concerns or
        issues with this document that the Responsible Area Director
        and/or the IESG should be aware of? For example, perhaps he
        or she is uncomfortable with certain parts of the document, or
        has concerns whether there really is a need for it. In any
        event, if the WG has discussed those issues and has indicated
        that it still wishes to advance the document, detail those
        concerns here.  Has an IPR disclosure related to this document
        been filed? If so, please include a reference to the
        disclosure and summarize the WG discussion and conclusion on
        this issue.

No known issues. No known IPR.

  (1.e) How solid is the WG consensus behind this document? Does it
        represent the strong concurrence of a few individuals, with
        others being silent, or does the WG as a whole understand and
        agree with it?

The XCON Working Group has a relatively small, but committed group of
about a dozen individuals who have participated over many years and
contributed large amounts of effort and text.  We have developed our
consensus around this document slowly.  As such, I believe it is a
strong consensus.

  (1.f) Has anyone threatened an appeal or otherwise indicated extreme
        discontent? If so, please summarise the areas of conflict in
        separate email messages to the Responsible Area Director. (It
        should be in a separate email because this questionnaire is
        entered into the ID Tracker.)

No.

  (1.g) Has the Document Shepherd personally verified that the
        document satisfies all ID nits? (See the Internet-Drafts Checklist
        and http://tools.ietf.org/tools/idnits/). Boilerplate checks are
        not enough; this check needs to be thorough. Has the document
        met all formal review criteria it needs to, such as the MIB
        Doctor, media type and URI type reviews?

Yes.

  (1.h) Has the document split its references into normative and
        informative? Are there normative references to documents that
        are not ready for advancement or are otherwise in an unclear
        state?

The document does have normative and informative references.

        If such normative references exist, what is the
        strategy for their completion? Are there normative references
        that are downward references, as described in [RFC3967]? If
        so, list these downward references to support the Area
        Director in the Last Call procedure for them [RFC3967].

  (1.i) Has the Document Shepherd verified that the document IANA
        consideration section exists and is consistent with the body
        of the document?

Yes.

        If the document specifies protocol
        extensions, are reservations requested in appropriate IANA
        registries?

Yes.

        Are the IANA registries clearly identified? If
        the document creates a new registry, does it define the
        proposed initial contents of the registry and an allocation
        procedure for future registrations? Does it suggest a
        reasonable name for the new registry? See [RFC5226]. If the
        document describes an Expert Review process has Shepherd
        conferred with the Responsible Area Director so that the IESG
        can appoint the needed Expert during the IESG Evaluation?

   This document registers a new XML namespace, a new XML schema, and
   the MIME type for the schema, the "XCON" Application Service tag,
   the "CCMP" Application Protocol tag.  This document also defines
   registries for the CCMP operation types and response codes.

  (1.j) Has the Document Shepherd verified that sections of the
        document that are written in a formal language, such as XML
        code, BNF rules, MIB definitions, etc., validate correctly in
        an automated checker?

Yes.

  (1.k) The IESG approval announcement includes a Document
        Announcement Write-Up. Please provide such a Document
        Announcement Write-Up? Recent examples can be found in the
        "Action" announcements for approved documents. The approval
        announcement contains the following sections:

     Technical Summary
        Relevant content can frequently be found in the abstract
        and/or introduction of the document. If not, this may be
        an indication that there are deficiencies in the abstract
        or introduction.

     Working Group Summary
        Was there anything in WG process that is worth noting? For
        example, was there controversy about particular points or
        were there decisions where the consensus was particularly
        rough?

     Document Quality
        Are there existing implementations of the protocol? Have a
        significant number of vendors indicated their plan to
        implement the specification? Are there any reviewers that
        merit special mention as having done a thorough review,
        e.g., one that resulted in important changes or a
        conclusion that the document had no substantive issues? If
        there was a MIB Doctor, Media Type or other expert review,
        what was its course (briefly)? In the case of a Media Type
        review, on what date was the request posted?

The IESG has approved the following document:

-  'Centralized Conferencing Manipulation Protocol'
<draft-ietf-xcon-ccmp-10.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Centralized Conferencing Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Robert Sparks and Gonzalo Camarillo.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-xcon-ccmp-10.txt

Technical Summary

   The Centralized Conferencing Manipulation Protocol (CCMP) allows a
   multimedia conferencing system client to create, retrieve, change,
   and delete objects that describe a centralized conference.  CCMP is a
   means to control basic and advanced conference features such as
   conference state and capabilities, participants, relative roles, and
   details.  CCMP is a stateless, XML-based, client server protocol.

Working Group Summary

  This document is a product of the XCON working group.
  Its contents have been uncontroversial in working group
  discussions.

Document Quality

  There are multiple implementations of CCMP.

Personnel

  Alan Johnston is the Document Shepherd for this document.
  Robert Sparks is the responsible Area Director.