Subject: [xmpp] #3: whitespace pings are in fact keepalives

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 22:52:38 -0000

#3: whitespace pings are in fact keepalives
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |       Owner:            
     Type:  defect              |      Status:  new       
 Priority:  trivial             |   Milestone:  milestone1
Component:  3920bis             |     Version:            
 Severity:  Active WG Document  |    Keywords:            
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 It has been pointed out that the so-called "whitespace pings" mentioned in
 Section 5.7.3 of draft-ietf-xmpp-3920bis-00 are in fact keepalives rather
 than pings (since no "pong" is possible). This terminology needs to be
 clarified.

 Reference:
 http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2009-June/022114.html

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/3>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 17:18:13 +0200

> #3: whitespace pings are in fact keepalives

I have fixed this in my working copy. The paragraph in which the
relevant text is found now reads as follows:

   An XML stream can appear idle at the XMPP level because the
   underlying TCP connection has become idle (e.g., a client's network
   connection has been lost).  The typical method for detecting an idle
   TCP connection is to send a space character (U+0020) over the TCP
   connection between XML stanzas, which is allowed for XML streams as
   described under Section 12.7.  The sending of such a space character
   is properly called a WHITESPACE KEEPALIVE (although the term
   "whitespace ping" is in common use, in fact it is not a ping since no
   "pong" is possible).  The time between such whitespace keepalives (or
   other connection-testing methods) is a matter of implementation and
   local service policy; however, it is RECOMMENDED that any such test
   be performed not more than once every 60 seconds.

Peter

- --
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/