Subject: [xmpp] #4: clarify error handling for unidirectional streams

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 22:58:49 -0000

#4: clarify error handling for unidirectional streams
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |       Owner:            
     Type:  defect              |      Status:  new       
 Priority:  minor               |   Milestone:  milestone1
Component:  3920bis             |     Version:            
 Severity:  Active WG Document  |    Keywords:            
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 When two XML streams are used (one in each direction) rather than using a
 single bidirectional stream, stanza errors triggered by stanzas sent over
 the outbound stream are returned on the inbound stream (since they are
 inbound stanzas), whereas stream errors related to the outbound stream are
 returned on the outbound stream (since they are not inbound stanzas but
 strictly related to the outbound stream itself). This needs to be
 clarified.

 Reference:
 http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2009-June/022112.html

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/4>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 17:34:01 +0200

> #4: clarify error handling for unidirectional streams

To clarify this matter, I have added to my working copy a new subsection
5.8.1.4 that is entitled "Where Stream Errors Are Sent" and that reads
as follows:

   When two XML streams are used between the initiating entity and the
   receiving entity (one in each direction) rather than using a single
   bidirectional stream, stanza errors triggered by stanzas sent over
   the outbound stream are returned on the inbound stream (since they
   are inbound stanzas from the perspective of the entity that sent the
   triggering stanza), whereas stream errors related to the outbound
   stream are returned on the outbound stream (since they are not
   inbound stanzas from the perspective of the entity that sent the
   triggering stanza but strictly related to the outbound stream
   itself); the same is true, naturally, of any stream errors that are
   related to the outbound stream but not triggered by an outbound
   stanza.

I shall close this issue when I again have access to the issue tracker.

Peter

- --
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/