Subject: [xmpp] 3920bis: stream features

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 15:35:22 -0700

At the WG meeting in Hiroshima, I mentioned two open issues regarding
stream features:

1. Should we allow the receiving entity to resend stream features at any
time during the life of the stream?

2. Should we allow the initiating entity to send stream features?

The motivation here is that we might have long-lived streams (especially
for server-to-server federation) and it's possible that a server admin
might enable a feature while such a stream is live. Instead of forcing
the parties to close the stream and start a new stream negotiation, it
might be good to allow them to advertise and then negotiate only the
newly-enabled feature. However, the desire to have this method needs to
be balanced against complexity (perhaps it's really not a big deal to
close the old stream and start a new one).

Thoughts?

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Remko Tronçon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 12:14:24 +0100

> However, the desire to have this method needs to

Given that setting up a new stream isn't much work, I would suggest to
leave this as it is. I think allowing renegotiation of stream features
introduces quite a few code changes. Unless we can think of situations
where setting up a new stream is very costly.

cheers,
Remko

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 10:57:43 -0700

> where setting up a new stream is very costly.

I tend to agree.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/