Subject: [xmpp] 3921bis: ack of subscription request

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 14:26:33 -0700

3921bis says:

   As a way of acknowledging receipt of the presence subscription
   request, the contact's server MAY send a presence stanza of
   type "unavailable" from the bare JID of the contact to the bare
   JID of the user.

Do we have consensus on adding this to the spec?

/psa

---

From: Joe Hildebrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 11:32:43 -1000

(as individual)

I assume this would go back to all of the resources of the subscribing user.
There are a set of UI designers for whom the difference between "unknown"
and "offline" is significant; can we put in a note for them that says that
this unavailable reply does not imply anything about the actual presence
state of the user until the subscription request is accepted?

On 11/17/09 11:26 AM, "Peter Saint-Andre" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> xmpp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xmpp

-- 
Joe Hildebrand

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 15:24:43 -0700

I've added the following parenthetical remark:

(the user's client MUST NOT assume that this ack provides presence
information about the contact, since it comes from the contact's bare
JID and is received before the subscription request has been approved)