Subject: Re: [xmpp] updated bis drafts

From: Tory Patnoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 11:42:53 -0700

On 10/27/2009 01:58 PM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> As to whether the server needs to deliver inbound presence subscription
> stanzas (subscribed, unsubscribe, unsubscribed), my reasoning is that if
> the server does not deliver them to the client then the client has no
> way to tell whether the roster push was generated by another resource or
> triggered by the contact.
>    

Would it not be better to put that information in the roster-push itself?

Perhaps with a copy of the triggering stanza as a sub-element to the 
roster push. That way client writers would not have to use two stanzas 
to trigger an event but look for a single stanza in the roster push 
while looking for extra details.

If the "double" stanza is preferred then I believe the presence stanza 
MUST be delivered _before_ the roster push.

Tory Patnoe

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 13:54:26 -0700

> MUST be delivered _before_ the roster push.

The double stanza is the way things have been specified since 1999. If
we define a new roster protocol (a hot topic of discussion a few months
ago), we'd add this feature to that protocol rather than force it into
the old protocol.

Peter

- --
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 14:28:49 -0700

> ago), we'd add this feature to that protocol rather than force it into

I chatted with Tory about this offlist. He's right that the
subscription-related presence stanza MUST be sent before the roster
push, so I've updated my working copy of 3921bis to clarify that.

I also checked RFC 3921 and it is a MUST there to pass along the
subscription-related presence stanza. Thus the only difference between
3921 and 3921bis is that we have made the order of events explicit
(presence stanza, then roster push).

Peter

- --
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/