Subject: [xmpp] 3921bis - _pres._xmpp. SRV records

From: Kevin Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 16:41:06 +0100

(8.2.)
Does anyone actually use these? If they're not used, is there any
merit in keeping them?

/K

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 05:41:56 -0600

[Typed while in transit, delivery will be delayed.]

On 7/21/10 9:41 AM, Kevin Smith wrote:
> (8.2.)
> Does anyone actually use these? 

Not that I know of.

> If they're not used, is there any
> merit in keeping them?

Good question. The _im and _pres SRV records were a hot topic back in
2004, but they haven't exactly taken the world by storm.

If we remove mention of these records from 3921bis, then we could simply
reference 3920bis regarding address resolution, because the only reason
we discuss it here is to include the _im and _pres SRV records (which as
you can tell from the names are for instant messaging and presence
respectively and therefore are not appropriate for 3920bis).

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Kevin Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 15:25:24 +0100

> respectively and therefore are not appropriate for 3920bis).

That would work for me.

/K