Subject: [xmpp] 3921bis - normal vs chat messages

From: Kevin Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 17:02:59 +0100

In Conformance Requirements (13) it seems that we're saying that
clients MUST Differentiate between messages of type "normal",
"chat"...

I don't remember that being stated in the spec anywhere (only that the
client SHOULD support all types). I think that treating normal and
chat message equivalently in a chat client is a sensible thing to do
(and I'd assert that most XMPP clients do this, with some notable
exceptions).

/K

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 15:00:39 +0200

> (and I'd assert that most XMPP clients do this, with some notable

The stanza handling rules for servers differentiate between message
types, but for clients we say only that they SHOULD support all types.
So "support messages of all types" means something different for servers
than it does for clients.

Suggestions welcome. :)

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 15:36:08 +0200

> than it does for clients.

When in doubt, make a distinction. :) We could define two features...

###

   Feature:  message-type-support
   Description:  Support reception of messages of type "normal",
      "chat", "groupchat", "headline", and "error".
   Section:  Section 5.2.2
   Roles:  Client SHOULD, Server N/A.

   Feature:  message-type-deliver
   Description:  Appropriately deliver messages of type "normal",
      "chat", "groupchat", "headline", and "error".
   Section:  Section 8
   Roles:  Client N/A, Server SHOULD.

###

---

From: Kevin Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 18:21:55 +0100

>   Roles:  Client N/A, Server SHOULD.

Sure. I'm happy with anything that leaves the practice of treating
chats and normals the same as legal.

/K

---

From: "Peter Saint-Andre" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 15:52:52 -0600 (MDT)

> chats and normals the same as legal.

Well the current definition is overloaded, so the change works for me.

/psa