Subject: [xmpp] 3921bis - presence sharing for iq

From: Kevin Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 16:26:45 +0100

In 6 we're told to share presence before we exchange iqs - I think
this is right for chats, but I'm not convinced it is for iq. Is there
any motivation for sharing directed presence with a cluster node that
you're configuring, or whatever?

/K

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 05:32:26 -0600

[Typed while in transit, delivery will be delayed.]

> you're configuring, or whatever?

I'm sure the rationale was something like Jingle, where you'd like to
take advantage of entity capabilities before attempting to establish a
media session -- and where you're exchanging what amounts to an IQ
session (similar to a messaging session as described in Section 5.1) in
order to manage the interactions.

However, given the wide range of uses for IQ stanzas, I think it would
be appropriate to make such a recommendation in other documents, so I've
deleted that paragraph from Section 6.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/