Subject: [xmpp] Determination of JID

From: Florian Zeitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 17:20:43 +0200

I have been rereading section 4.2.6 of 3920bis-09, because I was
wondering about the strange behaviour of a new service that shall remain
unnamed.
That aside, while reading I stumbled across the following text:
"A client MUST NOT attempt to guess at its JID but instead MUST consider
its JID to be whatever the server returns to it during SASL negotiation
(bare JID) or resource binding (full JID)."

Is there really a case where the server returns our bare JID during SASL
negotiation?
After some looking around and discussion in jdev@ it seems to me that
the only case we might determine the bare JID from the SASL negotiations
result, is that we specified a authorization ID (which according to
section 6.2.8 MUST be the bare JID) and were able to log in.
However that seems like a edge case to me. Ss resource binding is MTN
anyway I think it might be less confusing to tell implementers to just
always use the full JID from resource binding.
Thoughts?

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 10:30:45 -0600

> always use the full JID from resource binding.

I think that the text about SASL negotiation is a legacy of some other
text about s2s, not c2s. So I've removed "during SASL negotiation (bare
JID)" from my working copy. Thanks for the bug report.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/