Subject: [xmpp] 3921bis presence probe from (section 4.3) -

From: Philipp Hancke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 22:00:32 +0200

4.3:
 > In the context of presence subscriptions, the value of the 'from'
 > address MUST be the bare JID of the subscribed user

The RFC 3921 behaviour was (5.1.1):
 > Send presence probes (i.e., presence stanzas whose 'type' attribute
 > is set to a value of "probe") from the full JID (e.g.,
 > <[email-masked]/resource>) of the user

Since some servers implement this behaviour while others (most notably 
jabberd) have always sent from the bare jid I think there should be a 
backward compability note and the changed behaviour should be documented 
in appendix E.

4.3.2.
 > If the contact account does not exist or the user is in the
 > contact's roster

The user-in-contacts-roster check MUST be carried out with the users 
bare jid. I suppose that is what servers do already.

cheers

philipp

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 08:42:01 +0200

> backward compability note and the changed behaviour should be documented

I think that the full JID rule in 3921 was an error (remember that in
large measure 3921 was attempting to document the behavior of jabberd
1.x, or at least attempting to maintain compatibility with that
codebase), and that we have corrected that error in 3921bis. However,
you are right that we need to document the change, and I shall do that
now. My apologies for the oversight.

> bare jid. I suppose that is what servers do already.

An account is always a bare JID. I've added a few clarifying words about
that to my working copy.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/