Subject: [xmpp] 3921bis - Interested resources

From: Kevin Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 10:54:23 +0100

Reading further (to 2.4.2), I've realised that we need to think about
what an interested resource is. When a user requests their own roster,
they're going to be an interested resource for their roster. When a
user requests a third-party roster, they could be becoming an
interested resource in it (user requesting their roster from a
transport, or a shared group), or may just want to know what the
current state is (e.g. admin tools). It seems  that one sensible way
of doing this is to assume that all roster requests make the requester
an interested resource (for whatever roster they request), unless a
not-interested (talk-to-the-hand?) element is included, and that
subsequently sending a not-interested element stops you being
interested, or such.

/K

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 09:51:39 +0200

> subsequently sending a not-interested element stops you being

Again, I think that discussion about third-party rosters is out of scope
for 3921bis. Those who want that feature need to write a document and
some code, experiment with it, and report their results. Then, and only
then, it might be appropriate to incorporate the resulting insights into
3921ter. But I think it's too early to be making changes to 3921bis
describing a feature that we simply don't understand yet.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/